Iraq Troops

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 1/4acre, Oct 14, 2005.

1. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

.. There is a teacher at Tremper High School in Kenosha , Wi. whose husband is in Iraq. She is sending care / x-mas packages to him and all in his company. She has enlisted the help of her students. A list was made up of things that were needed and passed out to the students. Partisipation is not required. One student took it a step further and asked his mom ( my co-worker) to ask at her work place if anyone wanted to contribute, some do, including me. as luck would have it I checked on my local Freecycle and some of the needed items were listed there, they are now headed to me. Just wondered if anyone knows of any other things going on like this? By the way, the teacher is paying the postage for this. I wonder if she realized what the actual cost in $ will be? It's good for the kids to get involved. :rock:

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

When DH was in Iraq, I spearheaded a campaign for "cookies for the troops". The kids and families were given the opportunity to donate cookies (especially homemade) for my husband's unit for the holidays.

I was absolutely floored by the response. A school of 182 children managed to donate over 200 LARGE shipping boxes filled with tins of homemade cookies. I had planned on covering the shipping costs for the packages, but was extremely touched and surprised by the numerous parents who donated money to cover the shipping costs in addition to donating cookies. SInce shipping ran over $800 dollars I was very pleased. Not only did parents help cover the costs, but the lady at the Post office also chipped in on the shipping costs when she learned about what we were doing (I had to explain 200 boxes to Irag, it tends to raise a few questions).

I have to tell you, that cookie drive is still one of my fondest memories. Not only were the solidiers in DH's battalion thrilled to have homemade cookies, but there were a number of parents in my son's school who were Vietnam Vets that were so moved by the display of support for the troops that were overwhelmed.

Definately a worth cause.

Nikki

3. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

When my son was there last year, i sent him two or three boxes, the first one went and i had made something like 5 or 6 dozen chocolate chip/walnut cookies. These were crispy ones. I packed them in 1gallon baggies, and when they got there they were nothing but crumbs. (Note! Marines don't care if cookies are whole or in crumbs. They will eat ANY cookie that is homemade whether it is crumbs or whole cookies!) From what i was told, They got the bags of crumbs, and the men in his squad ate the whole 6 dozen the very first day as well as sucked down 5 cannisters of countrytime lemonaide i sent. I shook my head and imagined the sugar rush they were going through at that time.

The next two boxes i sent, (i always sent enough for his squad) i put the cookies in those metal tins you can buy at wallyworld and they got there in one piece instead of crumbs.
    They also sucked down a cannister each of country time lemonaide as well as one of those BIG packets of Koolaid the very first day.

hehe
    steve

4. Rod Torgeson

Rod Torgeson Well-Known Member

I have been and am involved in a project that has been going on for nearly two years in support of the troops in Iraq. It is The freedom Pen Project. http://www.freedompens.org/ Last year I donated 650 handmade wood pens that were sent to the troops in Iraq. This year so far it has been 340, been sort of busy with other projects(I know that's a poor excuse). All of the pens that I have donated were handcrafted by me. Anyway, I think its a worthwhile project and am proud to be part of it. I do not know anybody that is serving in Iraq. Just want to show my support. Rod<---in Appleton, WA

5. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I so appreciate what you ae speaking about. My 23 yr. daughter's former boyfriend is in Bagdad since last summer. Even though he is not technically a member of the family any longer, all my relatives,and myself have been trying to keep the care packages going to him. He is so very thrilled for anything. The thing I have learned...they always want to share amongst the others. Just something to keep in mind. Stupid little e-cards seem to go a long way in between packages, too. Some days I think the young man sounds like he is going to cry. He actually types me thank you notes for the internet e-cards I send him when I am in a weird mood. Deb