Ionizing or other air cleaners - ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Nov 11, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Does anywhere here use air cleaners?

I have a small ionizer that I like a lot, but would really like to get a larger air cleaner that also gets small dust particles (HEPA, I guess). One combining HEPA and ionizer would be great. I'd also like portable but with ability to clean, say, 700 sq ft.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I hope you get lots of answers here. I've been wondering about those things for while now! Mostly... (and this may be just stupid of me) I just dont' see the point. (no alleric persons in the home, etc...but BOY do my ducts need cleaning!!)

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have ridiculous allergies about half the year. From the very first beginnings of spring til the first good freeze.

I also have problems with dust, but live right off a dirt road. :rolleyes: And I cook a lot and have big hairy dogs and and and ...

The dust is the worst part. But the more I lower the dust quotient in here, the better my allergies get. So I've just decided to go all out and get a real live air cleaner instead of my little ionizer -- one which really gets after the dust particles (and pollen ... and dog hair ... and ... ) and which can handle a fairly large area (my little ionizer only covers 400 sq ft).

4. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an ionizer, I think its called Living Air or something. It was quite expensive. Well, not for me, my neighbor sold them and was going out of business and mine was a show model. I've had it for 5 years. Anyway, I have a huge amount of allergies - pet dander, detergents, dust, pollen, anything that smells - perfume, shampoo, deodorant, etc. I love the unit I have, you just wash the screen periodically and adjust the controlls. Its way cool for eliminating oders from cooking etc.
    I also have a large hepa filter cleaner, but its not in use now, its very noisy and the filters are expensive.

Halo

5. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I had one like Halo's, and loved it, when we moved to the farm we didn't have power to run it, so I gave it to someone that needed one. The wife of the family has ashma (sp?) and say's she like's the machine very much.

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Thanks! :D

I'm pretty well resolved to the possibility that I'll end up with a noisy HEPA. If I do, then I'll just run it part of the day.

I'll see if I can find a Living Air anywhere.

7. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

We have one from a company called airsource it is an ionizer, ozone, and staticly neutralizes the air so that particulates don't float, it goes on the floor and can't be stirred up real easy. You just vaccume up the dust that used to float around. It handles a house up to 3000 sq. ' The ozone is regulated by a senser so it never reaches an irratating level we live near a feed lot and it works great. We bought 2 to get a better price so we would sell one for fairly cheap if your interested. We use it in the cellar were its musty and it works pretty good. We really notice a difference in the smell and don't get mildew on stuff as much.
    If you would pay shipping we would let you try it ,to see if you like. probably would be 16.00$ for shipping
    terry rowe in kansas

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Had a Filter Queen model which came as a set with the vacuum deal. It was a Hepa type of air cleaner. At the time my spouse (now ex) had allergies and felt it was needed. I honestly didn't think it did much with our country air since there is an open field in the back and was a dusty road in front. It felt like a losing battle with trying to fight mother nature on this. Those conditions make it almost hopeless to be allergen free. The unit might have worked well in town if in a small place staying indoors. When she moved and took the unit, still didn't make much difference as her constant use of flonase, so it only seemed to prove to me that she wasn't allergic to me... and that the vacuum cleaner salesman sold her a whacky gimmick as far as I'm concerned. :no:

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Terry, hang onto that offer because I might take you up on it in about a month. I ended up getting two Hunters because they were relatively inexpensive and the reviews I found on them were pretty good. One is HEPA only, removing around 98% (99%?) of particulate stuff to 0.1 micron, the other removes same and has an ionizer.

And I can already tell a difference. Even though I have one window wide open to get some of the nice cool rain air in here.

My new plan is to get one in every large room. :yeeha: For now, I'm going to run these 24/7 for a month because, from what I've read, that's what you need to do if you have dust allergies. Then, I'm going to get two more and run kind of sporadically.

It's going to drive my electric bill up but I'm balancing that with how ridiculous my allergies are out here. Getting rid of a ton of stuff has helped - pulling out all the carpet here was a major improvement! And it's looking like the air purifiers will be the icing on the cake.

I refuse to resort to Flonase and consider this a much better alternative.

10. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

11. sundew

sundew Active Member

I have an Air Purifyer like Halo. It is a Living Air x15. I've been amazed with what it has done in my tiny cabin. All one room-kitchen cooking-no lingering smells, cigarette smoke-"someone smokes in here?" all dust goes to floor to be vac.
    There is a difference between an air "filter" system and "purifyer" system. My understanding is with the "filter" the air has to go thru it. A purifyer makes ozone & ions and with the fan-throws them out there. Some investigation should be made. The HEPA are very expensive, unit not. Whereas the Purifyer is expensive yet the "plates" last a very long time with correct maintence and are not expensive. I've turned it off for a few days and have noticed a hugh difference in my alergies-my cats, pollen, mold, hay, etc.

Just make sure you check the warrantee/return policies and check out customer's reports.

Hope you find what will work for you.
    Sundew

12. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I got two Hunters --- one large with both HEPA and an ionizer, and one small, with only HEPA.

I am very pleased. As are my sinuses. :D