Ionic Breeze- type air filters... worth buying?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RoseGarden, Jan 2, 2007.

1. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

My house is a little, old farmhouse, and as many who live in this type of house know, they can be rather dusty. I dust all the time. I also have two inside dogs which I want to keep inside. They are wonderful companions. I also believe I am starting to have some very minor but annoying allergy problems, especially in the spring with oak pollen, and in the summer and fall with grass pollen and mold spores.

I was wondering if anyone has bought an Ionic Breeze or similar tower-type, fan-forced air filters, and how they performed? I heat with wood and have window units for air conditioning, so I don't have a central HVAC system to filter the air in my house through. I thought about getting two or three of them, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.

2. liveswithinlogs

liveswithinlogs Member

My only experience with them consists of giving a desktop model to an attorney friend of mine for Christmas. He's told me it's great and helps a great deal with combatting his allergies. The one I gave him has a small ultraviolet light for germicidal purposes, in addition to the electrostatic filter. I can see the usefullness of the UV gizmo, but wonder about the longevity of the bulb, and how readily available replacements are.

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I have had two of the full sized ionic Breeze from Sharper Image. Before they both stopped working barely a year after purchase (Sharper Image did NOT stand behind them) they did actually gather dust although not the anount I had hoped after seeing the ads. I was not impressed...they are a bit pricey to stop working that quickly.

4. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

I have cleaned some houses that have those and I still saw the same amount of dust. I have no idea if it helps with allergies or not.

Sherry in Ga

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I would not use something that pricey you can many filters over time to pay for something like that. I have a regular one that uses filters and also has an "ion bar" to take the electricity out of the air. the dust then just falls to the ground instead of collecting on things. Holmes is the brand name. You can't filter the air unless you Move the air.

6. HillsideHouse

HillsideHouse Well-Known Member

Consumer Reports stated that they did not work. Sharper Image sued them for libel. The judge dismissed the case with SI paying CR legal bills. Sharper said they didn't care, it was still their top selling product. Later, CR stated besides NOT working they also release potentially dangerous levels of ozone.

I run a Honeywell Hepa filter. It's round, it's heavy and it's loud but boy does it clean the air! You are only suppose to have to replace the prefilter every 3 months, here it's ever single month! In the spring it gets orange with pollen it draws in.
    Good Luck!
    :)

7. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. I saw that Lowe's had the big, round Honeywell units on sale for $199, but I have to admit, I wonder how long replacement filters will be produced. I had a GE unit several years ago, worked fairly well, but after about 2 years, guess what... no one manufactured filters anymore, so a perfectly good unit was no longer usable. I tried washing the filter and it worked ok for a while, although not as well, but eventually the filter came apart, which put an end to that deal. Now if Honeywell is going to continue making filters, I might consider one of those.

8. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have ordered an Oreck,I hope it works as well as they say.If not Iwill be sending it back.My allergies have been really bad this winter.Husband chain smokes,2 big dogs in the house.I am constantly dusting,vaccuming.we do have a small air cleaner thing from W/Mart it does help.Years ago we had the insluation blown in the walls,I think it is ground up news papers,and the dust comes in through the small cracks.

9. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I had 2 of them . Mostly to remove smoke - we smoked in the house . It worked according to my grown kids who only visit . The problem was cleaning them . One of them wasn't working properly and sharper image did replace it . I decided to take them apart and clean them . I did that twice a year . This year while trying to clean one I dropped it and ruined it .
    We don't smoke in the house now so I don't need them for that . It also picked up alot of the dust we incurred from the pellet stove .
    I really would not reccommend them due to the difficulty in cleaning them and that they really do not help much with dust (only in the area the thing is running ).

10. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

Sam's Club has one; I bought one right before I painted the inside of the house and I used it since two years ago... I could feel the difference. My wife likes it and she noticed a difference in the air quality also.
    After 4 hours of being on (California house with the San Fernando Valley pollution) I remove the ionizing element and is cacked with brown gunk. Easy to clean though!
    The one from Sam's comes with UV light and it didn't broke yet. It was like $120.

11. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Onboard submarines we use ionic filters. Huge ones!

They need to be cleaned monthly and they work great. The submarine force really believes in them, for filtering the air. I have routinely removed gunk stuck on the gills up to 1/4 inch thick. All from the dust, smoke and dander that would otherwise have been floating in the air. Living underwater for months at a time would have been much worse without hepa clean air.

If you find a good one, and clean it often, it should work well for you for decades.

:)

12. vallyfarm

vallyfarm Well-Known Member

I was looking at them a few years back, but at Bed, Bath, and Beyond I found a filter using water. A fan sucks the dirty air onto a sort of waterwheel type of thing that sits in the water. The fan motor also slowly turns this wheel, and the dirt in the air gets stuck to the wheel. As it turns, the dirt gets washed off in the tank, ready to spin up again. It works great, no filters, only the water to change, and also acts as a humidifyer. Sits next to the wood stove and keeps the wood smoke and odors in check. Made in Germany! Two years, and works perfect. Quiet too. VENTA is the brand. They come in different sizes depending on size of area to use. Get the next bigger size that you need, and you'll be happy for years. Nothing to replace other than the dirty water once a week, and no filters. Mike

13. T.K.

T.K. T.K.

Two years ago I bought an ionic breeze at a yard sale for $5. It was the big $300 model and the guy lied and told me it worked. I was skeptical but decided to take a chance. When I got it home and plugged it in, it made a snapping noise and I discovered one of the wires inside was broken. I contacted sharper image to see if I could get it repaired. I told them I had purchased it at a yard sale. Not only did they replace the unit with a new one, but also paid the postage for me to send them the broken one. I have used it in my bedroom for two years. It makes no noise, uses no filters, and it picks up a ton of crap out of the air. I love it and would buy another one. I thought the company was great and in this day and age for a company to stand behind their products to that extent is awesome.