Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Married, not dead!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm considering getting an LGD, I want to reinforce my fencing with invisible electronic fence or wireless radio fence. My fences are 6 feet tall, but I know that a determined Akbash dog can clear that height. I live close to a busy road, so I don't want to chance it.

I like the portability of the radio fence, but I don't like the fact that it can only be configured in a circle. With the boundary wire, I understand that you don't necessarily have to bury it as long as you use a thicker gauge wire. Which type do you all have experience with, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Is there a brand that is solar powered?

Thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
185 Posts
With a radio fence, there is no boundary wire. The dog gets a shock when it hits the limit of the transmitter, which is dependant on several factors. The buried wire fence will be more effective due to Pavlov's theory, but is a lot harder (more time and labor intensive) because the perimeter must be a completed loop, so passing a driveway etc, can cause a problem.Just remember to remove the dog's collar in either case when he wants to go for a ride in the car. :rolleyes:

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,616 Posts
All my fences are 4 ft tall and Ive never had a dog try to go over them. They will be more likely to dig under if they really want to get out, but once "bonded" to the territory, I really dont think youll have any problems

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I've had a few different wired systems (moved a few times). I currently have a PetSafe one that's been in for about 3.5 years. It's a good system. I think a wired system would fit your needs better, since like you said it only goes in a circle and you would need several to cover a whole acre. I don't know of any that are solar powered, but you should be able to locate the transmitter in a garage or outbuilding close to power without a problem.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I doubt your Akbash would clear a six foot fence unless he can climb it (in which case I'd run a wire at the six foot level, but inside about a foot). Dogs built like Dobermanns are good jumpers, but bigger dogs tend to not be able to jump high, relatively speaking.

If you use an underground system, other animals will be able to cross the boundary line since they won't be wearing the special collar. Presumably your dog will go after them, but it's always better to give them a boundary. An electric wire along the bottom of the fence will deter all but the smallest critters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts