Invisible fencing farm animals

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by EmpressG, Apr 11, 2005.

1. EmpressG

EmpressG Member

We were trying to think of how best to contain the sheep and goats in particular. And have a very steep hill we would like them to clear. Has anyone used successfully invisable fence collars to contain sheep, goats or even cows?
    One company said they sell systems to people who do just that, and I found an experimental thing with some cows in MD on the web, though I haven't talked to a human yet.

The wire is very cheap...$22 for 500ft, and can go through water, be buried or lay on top of the ground. The collars are about $55-65 each. I currently have 10 goats and sheep, though maybe I would just use a few in this way, especialy to try it.

Wondering how one trains them, with dogs you lead them on a leash...(HA! I Know that will not work with most of my sheep!)

Thoughts, experiences?

2. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

These always worry me because they work pretty well at keeping what you want to stay in the yard, in the yard. But they do nothing to keep other critters out.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't know if the invisible collar would work on sheep and goats or not, but it would do nothing to protect them from stray dogs, etc.

Kathleen

4. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Might be rather effective at protecting the FENCE from the animals, though. I'm pulling fence this week again, replacing heavy gauge horse fencing and chain link that the goats have destroyed with more of the heaviest gauge wire I can find. I estimate it'll last a year. :waa: I want to try the invisible fencing with my goats -- just have to save the pennies for the collars.

BTW, if you're doing HORNED goats, it's probably a good idea to use breakaway collars -- you'll probably need to fashion them yourself. I've seen a goat die because another goat got his horn hooked in his collar.

Leva

5. EmpressG

EmpressG Member

Actually we haven't found any fence that keeps our worst predator out...a neighbor's dog. That dog climbs every fence, even ones with barb wire on the top, to kill sheep and goats. The electric doesn't contain the goats, (or sheep) adequately, though it may keep the dog out. And doing both, electic and field fence, is just too expensive/time consuming to be worth keeping a few animals.
    (And yes, that dog will be shot as it's mate was last year, as soon as any of us can actually catch it in the act. But now another neighbor just had a litter of 6 pit bull puppies, so we are not hopeful.)