Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my precious metals... I'd love to have lots of disposable income (that I didn't have to work for :rolleyes:) to do more serious coin collecting. Unfortunately, I'm not that wealthy.

I know it's been discussed, ad nauseum, the discussion of storing/prepping with gold/silver.

Lately, I've been trying to plug up the holes in my preps. I typed up a list a few months ago, showed it to my GF, and said anything on this list didn't really need much consideration, purchase wise, as long as the extra cash was available. I've been spending time researching some of my firearm needs, extrapolating the commonly held beliefs on the weapons, and weighing them against my personal needs.

This evening, I did a price check on my current arms. Shock! I knew they'd be worth more... but, my goodness, not that much. My main hunting rifle was purchased in 94. Fourteen years later, it's worth 125% more. My 89 truck is worth 'maybe' 5%. My 97 is maybe 15%. The rest of my armaments are at least doubled... and the prices I'm checking them against (on gunbroker and guns america) are for used weapons.

So, I feel a lot better on some of the purchases I've made this month.

At the last gun show I went to, a gent came up while I was fondling a new AR-15... said he'd bought some handguns just 'in case'... we got to talking, and he was a'fearing shtf times... and figured he could always trade them for things he might be a needing. I tried to softly burst his bubble, by mentioning trading weapons or ammo to anyone but loved ones wasn't a bright idea... as they could be turned around on you easily (scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... where Tuco gets a gun from a dealer, turns it on dealer, and robs him).

I'm not at the point where I'm actually buying extra weapons for trade purposes. If I were, I'd only sell or trade to family, friends, or neighbors, that I trust my life to.

My dilemma if I do buy 'extras'... do you buy quality or quantity... beauty or function? An expensive banger for 1k (like my winchester mod 70) or three cheaper but serviceable Savage model 110s.

If society falls, they'll have value, especially if I can provide reloads.

If society keeps on ticking, they'll increase in value, especially if they're banned.

If our economy and the dollar falls, and all liquid assets disappear, I suspect the weapons will have some value.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
No matter how many weapons you have someone is going to have more. Half the day is darkness. Anyone with a decent night vision scope has the capacity to cancel your highest power rifle easily during those hours. And one has to sleep sometime.

If you have the cash to spare and desire to invest it wisely I might suggest inviting all the neighbors within 3-4 miles of you over for steak. Polish those social skills. Hopefully these are the folks who will be watching your back if you watch theirs. Otherwise these same folks will be the ones you will be using your weapons against.

As for the precious metals best have enough on hand to meet your contracts. I figure $21 in silver is adequate. Any more might be considered excessive.

·
tom
606 Posts
enlighten me please.when you say precious metals,i assume gold,silver and such. if and when TSHTF,how would you go about using the metals? barter,banks S and Ls?
i dont have any except some necklaces and some diamond broaches of my grandmas.
are you talking about bars and such? i wonder if i should purchase some gold or something.just looking for info please.
thanx
tom

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think that if you were going to buy guns to sell or trade during a shtf, the best strategy would be to buy guns people have heard of and would ask for. They may know nothing about guns, but a lot of people have heard of "Glocks and Aks". Of course, people who want AKs may not be the people you want to have them. Every thug claims to have an ak and that is what they would send their friends out to get more of. You would be kind of like a settler arming the Comanches :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If the SHTF I certainly don't want to be known as a guy with guns to trade. I want to be a well-armed guy that nobody even bothers.

I want enough rifles to put one in the hands of every person at the compound.

·
Registered
42 Posts
:duel:As for me I buy silver , When I can find it! But have an uneasy feeling that in the upcoming mo,s after the inaguration. The guns and the ammo it takes for them will be regulated alot tighter! just saying!:soap:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I love my precious metals... I'd love to have lots of disposable income (that I didn't have to work for :rolleyes:) to do more serious coin collecting. Unfortunately, I'm not that wealthy.

I know it's been discussed, ad nauseum, the discussion of storing/prepping with gold/silver.

Lately, I've been trying to plug up the holes in my preps. I typed up a list a few months ago, showed it to my GF, and said anything on this list didn't really need much consideration, purchase wise, as long as the extra cash was available. I've been spending time researching some of my firearm needs, extrapolating the commonly held beliefs on the weapons, and weighing them against my personal needs.

This evening, I did a price check on my current arms. Shock! I knew they'd be worth more... but, my goodness, not that much. My main hunting rifle was purchased in 94. Fourteen years later, it's worth 125% more. My 89 truck is worth 'maybe' 5%. My 97 is maybe 15%. The rest of my armaments are at least doubled... and the prices I'm checking them against (on gunbroker and guns america) are for used weapons.

So, I feel a lot better on some of the purchases I've made this month.

At the last gun show I went to, a gent came up while I was fondling a new AR-15... said he'd bought some handguns just 'in case'... we got to talking, and he was a'fearing shtf times... and figured he could always trade them for things he might be a needing. I tried to softly burst his bubble, by mentioning trading weapons or ammo to anyone but loved ones wasn't a bright idea... as they could be turned around on you easily (scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... where Tuco gets a gun from a dealer, turns it on dealer, and robs him).

I'm not at the point where I'm actually buying extra weapons for trade purposes. If I were, I'd only sell or trade to family, friends, or neighbors, that I trust my life to.

My dilemma if I do buy 'extras'... do you buy quality or quantity... beauty or function? An expensive banger for 1k (like my winchester mod 70) or three cheaper but serviceable Savage model 110s.

If society falls, they'll have value, especially if I can provide reloads.

If society keeps on ticking, they'll increase in value, especially if they're banned.

If our economy and the dollar falls, and all liquid assets disappear, I suspect the weapons will have some value.

What do you think?

Wait about a year. Much of what you have will be practically priceless.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
enlighten me please.when you say precious metals,i assume gold,silver and such. if and when TSHTF,how would you go about using the metals? barter,banks S and Ls?
i dont have any except some necklaces and some diamond broaches of my grandmas.
are you talking about bars and such? i wonder if i should purchase some gold or something.just looking for info please.
thanx
tom
Precious metals are usually platinum, gold, and silver. I love coin collecting, but it's limited to silver.

As a storehouse of wealth, in just an economically troubled times, gold and silver will get you through... especially in devaluation of currencies. I don't worry about these scenarios that much, as most of the time I'm under or unemployed.

I worry about Mad Max times... TEOTWAWKI...

I'm 51, I think :rolleyes:, and I've never sold a gun... when I gets em, I tends to keeps em... If I did sell one, it'd be to a person that I'd expect to cover my back... literally trust them with my life. I wouldn't sell or give one to a non outstanding character. I wouldn't advertise that I have guns, or anything else. My place might become a black hole of information... anyone up to no good might never leave the 'event horizon' to inform others of what's here or not here.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
"are you talking about bars and such? i wonder if i should purchase some gold or something.just looking for info please."

The best in my opinion are silver dimes and quarters. The Silver will always have an intrinsic value and the dimes and quarters are small enough and easy enough recognized chunks that they can be traded easily. If you wanted a loaf of bread from me - how much of your $20 dollar gold piece are you willing to trade and if neither you nor I had scales, how would we tell?? A dime and a quarter are known weights of silver, and the values can be agreed upon more easily.

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
Tools for me have more value than precious metals. That is my view.

Knowledge about how to do something has more value than precious metals. That is also my view.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have to say that I've taken a more holistic approach, and have all three. I have some guns, I have some coins, and I have some tools. So many people here talk about gold or whatever as if it was the only thing in the world to prep. Anyone that thinks gold will solve all their problems is kidding themselves. But also, anyone that thinks that gold can't solve any of their problems is also kidding themselves.

I think the most thoughtful planner will include some coins, some tools, some guns, some books, some seeds, some canning jars, some meds, some fabric, some firewood, gasoline, some of everything. That's what independence is all about.
Michael

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got pretty much every tool I need.... now... for right now...

On my 'Master List' is a requirement for backup tools. Shovels, Rakes, Hoes, Axes, bastard files, drill bits, etc. ...to be put up and not used, at all. Keep em safe and secure in the barn, so when/if something happens to the daily sets, there'll be spares.

I also like to keep tools around, to make other tools... drawknives, tap and die kits, blacksmithing tools, etc.

The bulk of my silver collection is dime and quarters... have a numismatic collection of silver dollars... I'd hate to part with them. Someone want's to trade with me, I'll find it easier dealing with silver dimes than gold. Unless they don't mind losing most of their initial investment...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think guns and ammo will continue to go up in price. The US dollar will continue its long term decline in value so anything useful you can get by trading in FRN's now will reduce the harm the falling dollar does to you later.

Good luck,
Gunga

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Stainless steel has it's merits. I like usable hardware as well. A box of nails has doubled in price in the past year or so. While I have plenty of tools for my own use I still keep an eye open at yard sales and flea markets for things that I may need later on, to use or to trade.

My best buy this summer was three double bit axes (two with new handles) for $10 (all three). They are a bit worn but quite a good investment in my opinion. I look at things like this as a good value because I can use it, sell it, or trade it as needed. A thief might just walk right by an axe, if he was looking for cash.

Now that said I do keep some silver, and a few guns as well. I figure that all investments will require some marketing on my part to get the best return. Precious metals may require some education as well, but a guy who is cold and almost out of firewood can probably figure out an axe. If I sell my axes for $7 each I have doubled my money. If I buy a silver dollar I may have to work and wait to get my money back. Everything has good and bad points.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
For the most of us folks, in making preps we need to have food, shelter and defenses, once you get them covered then having the ability to make more food, improve your shelter and keep up your defenses seems the right way to go.

I used to be the guy who would buy a firearm, and never let it go, when some of my friends would just buy a pistol or rifle cause they had the cash and someone needed cash, and then peddle said firearm for a wee bit more in a few months, i never could, then i needed to have some cash of my own and well i ended up getting rid of some of those tools.... I wish now I had owned more gold and silver or other precious metals when i could have bought them on the "cheap side" or when i had the excess to spend on such an investment. Now I am back buying coins, mostly silver, though i will look at a rare coin if the price is what i consider affordable and turnable in a moment of "temporary lapse of reason" as I plead to my wife once in awhile [hey if i can pick up a $300.00+/- buffalo nickel for what i can afford or less than half, I will do it again many times over.... as a tradable coin now not later] Most all of the silver dimes and quarters i pick up have mid grade numismatic trading capability, for if the world does not end, the collector market will still be there and for many years collectors during the up and down trends in the market have kept on filling holes in their collections. Over the past 5 years gold and silver have outdone the S & P index and over the past 30 years numismatics have outdistanced the S & P BEFORE the wall street crumble this past fall. Coins like real estate are a finite grouping, aint no one making any more of those old coins, and the better the quality the more desireable they will always be, so i purchase the best i can afford, not the most quantity, though i am not opposed to that either if the price is negotiated to the liking of both parties involved.
A person can get into a nice Peace Dollar collection for under $1000.00 and have fun at it, only 24 coins in that lot and the hunt is about as fun as looking at new firearms that I have no immediate use for, or 36 Ikes [yes some but not all of those are % of silver too] and you can have a collection of those for under $200 in a fairly decent grade for a future trade.

So since i know that Texican desires more for pepper than for gold, I spect i would opt to have a case of pepper, but then again i can grow peppers, and though i can prospect for gold and such, it is easier [though not as fun] to buy outright, same as firearms.... which i can build my own from parts or from scrap, I would rather buy outright but not for future trade in the ultimate end of days type scenario..... for that i would rather have the gold and silver or other tradable goods..... and like Palini says at least 21 plus dollars for a contract and be able to demand a "jury" if the constitution is still in effect.

The answer is quality along with simplicity, that night vison scope sounds good, but requires a battery to be effective very long, and a scopes fail too, so whatever it is a person has needs be usable with iron sights in my personal viewpoint, though others may have other opinons for their own selves. My hand tools are such that have been around many years already and are still in great condition, a 1925 jennings folding draw knife, a 1927 keystone adjustable wrench, similar aged other hand tools like a brace and bit set, a couple of Diston hand saws [new handles for replacements though] and a couple of nice crosscut saws, though i dont spect that folks all over in Texas have the same need as far as length goes for those, there stillis a few big pines left i'd wager. Tools of quality will stick around and hold value, my friend stillhas an old 94 Marlin in an original take down style that is in mint type condition and he has hunted with it, though after finding out the valued placed on it by some collectors he has it hangin on the wall now..... Some iron just has that kind of effect on folks.

Still i like coins since i have to much other stuff already around and dont want to build a bigger barn to house it all just yet. and coins will always have the portability factor over other goods in years to come for re-establishment of larger trade..... and retains investment power in turbulent times like now in the paper markets.

William
from the Rez
North Central Idaho on "no tellum creek"

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blu3duk
I'll always be interested in Morgan's... I have the VAM book, and have found some interesting coins.

I was majorly disappointed in that the last gunshow didn't have a single coin guy there... I'd planned on buying a dozen or so Morgans or Peace's.

I much prefer silver in hand, than paper fiat notes.

Only reason I don't have gold, is I've never had that much excess cash running around. If the world doesn't end, and the landman business is as good next year as it's been this year, I might have to look into some numismatic mid grade gold... after I get several more tools, and a lifetime supply of other stuff...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts