Inverter Trouble

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by Tango, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I have a Samlex 600 watt true sine wave inverter. Last night it switched to overload and I've not been able to figure out the problem. There was no overload on it at the time. I have been running a cordless phone for two weeks. It has a digital answering system and doesn't take a whole lot of power. If anything that small continuous load may be the cause. Yesterday I ran my 4 cup coffeemaker to brew in the morning. It uses all 600 watts of power from the inverter for the brewing cycle then I turn it off. Hasn't shown any problems before. Then I used my laptop on and off throughout the day. And egads (!) I listened to Beethoven's 9th symphoney over and over for about an hour :angel: But it was fine without any problems during the day. Sometime at night I heard the alarm and it switched off and lit the overload light. This morning I checked the cables and changed the 100 watt fuse on the positive cable. The charge controller is fine. Just the inverter. Any advice on what to look for?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Kind of slow in here today huh? Well I opened it up and neither of the 40 watt fuses are bad. Just hooked up a small 400 watt inverter to one battery to run the laptop. Guess it will be like this for a while.

3. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Tango- I kinda wish Alternative Energy was still a part of Homesteading ?s. Heck, I wish a LOT of these specialty forums were still part of Homesteading Questions. I learned a lot from different posters without really experiencing the need to consult a "specialty" forum- y'know?
    Thinking of you as hurricane season starts...

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Has it been moist around it lately? Fog can shut my inverter down.Its ok if its running,but If I try to start it in fog,nope.

Costco usually has a 1100 watt inverter for 80 bucks or so,at least last year they stocked one.I keep one as an extra,a XANTREX,its not a bad deal at all.Actually I got 2,use one in the motorhome,its a nice mod sine inverter.

BooBoo

5. mightybooboo

Oh,parts on sale
    www.partsonsale.com
    repairs inverters.They are real friendly folks,you could give em a call and ask for advice?

PAYMENTS OR WRITTEN CORRESPONDENCE MAY BE ADDRESSED TO :
    SOLATRON TECHNOLOGIES INC.
    15663 VILLAGE DRIVE
    SUITE C

VICTORVILLE, CALIFORNIA 92394

SALES PHONE: 1-888-647-6527
    Sales Department : Press 2 at the prompt

For all other inquiries, please call 1-760-955-3466, Then enter one of the following extensions :
    Customer Support : Enter extension 100
    Accounting : Enter extension 105
    Technical Support : Enter extension 102
    Repair Department : Enter extension 106
    System Installation Department : Enter extension 106
    System Design Department : Enter extension 102

FAX NUMBER: 1-760-955-3416

BooBoo

6. mightybooboo

Oh,another thing.
    Does it have a telephone cord type wire that goes to a controller type thing?
    My wire went bad once and that shut me down.

BooBoo

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

GrandmotherBear Albert or Alberto not sure which it is, is headed toward Tallahassee where my daughter attends schools. Fortunately it isn't too strong. If it heads through there it will be the first she has faced away from family. Last year, right here in TN I received Katrina as a tropical storm in my travel trailer. Absolutely gut wrenching. No hiding form these things. My prayers for everyone's safety this year.

BooBoo, I thought of you when I visited the Florence, AL Lowe's and looked for the Malibu Deck lights. They no longer have them either, just have the fancier, more expensive, new ones.

I'm bummed about the inverter. It isn't even a year old. Has warnings all over the place about reverse polarity but don't plugs have a larger side and smaller side? How should I know what is reverse polarity on a plug or am I confused about it?

Dunno if I'll pick up another inverter. I need a large one for the larger loads I'll have when I get a Staber but not right now, really. Good thing the Sundanzer will hook to the battery bank or I would be crying right now. Thanks for the link.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Nope. Both controller and inverter go directly to batteries.

9. mightybooboo

My inverter has a remote controller.When that telephone type wire failed took me a couple weeks to figure it out.

If the batts are hooked correctly,I agree,shouldnt be able to plug something 120v into it incorrectly.

Mine refers to plus/minus batt connections when it talks of polarity.

BooBoo

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

The battery connections were made months ago and haven't changed. They were still good this morning :shrug: just one of those things I guess. Unless I'm cursed lately.

11. mightybooboo

Yep,the darn thing appears to have fried itself,bummer.

BooBoo

12. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

Did you try disconnecting it from the battery for a minute or so and reconnecting? Mine does some weird stuff sometimes. This seems to cure it. Just make sure all of the A.C. loads are disconnected..

Also, do you have any ground fault outlets? These don't play well with inverters. If you have the ground (3rd pin) from your outlets connected to the inverter, lift that once while disconnected from the battery and leave it off. See if the inverter comes up..

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks 12vman. It was entirely removed from the battery bank most of yesterday and reconnected at different times of the day with a faint glimmer of hope. No dice :( I did have a ground plug on it on Sunday; that's the extension. Wasn't the first time but it is the only way to have three items plugged in simultaneously since the inverter itself has only two outlets. At the time the alrma went off only the cordelss phone, with its two prong plug was connected.