·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Vietnam Vet.
Army--1964 -1967
MOS - Engineer Missile Equipment Maintenance
18 months on Okinawa- Hawk Missile site
12 months Phu Hiep, Vietnam- ammo dump guard. Old army ;) I never was issued an M-16 and used an M-14 the entire time.
Headed for the hills soon after my arrival state side.
My wife and I raise angora goats and process the fibers ourselves. We've lived in the Colorado high country, NW Montana, and currently reside in SW Oregon. Our URL is in my signature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moopups said:
Welcome Ox, I understand that head for the hills bit very well, are you 'home' yet?
Yes and no :haha: Yes in that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else and no because "this old world is not my home, I'mma justa passing through..."

thanks for the comeback moopups!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ox, I've known your name for about 6 years. CSRL was the first homesteading list I knew of and I've enjoyed it. It's a shame it's so quiet. Anyway, dh and I are vets too, not wartime (yet) though.

Judy and David at Tabletop Homestead, Oklahoma

ox said:
I'm a Vietnam Vet.
Army--1964 -1967
MOS - Engineer Missile Equipment Maintenance
18 months on Okinawa- Hawk Missile site
12 months Phu Hiep, Vietnam- ammo dump guard. Old army ;) I never was issued an M-16 and used an M-14 the entire time.
Headed for the hills soon after my arrival state side.
My wife and I raise angora goats and process the fibers ourselves. We've lived in the Colorado high country, NW Montana, and currently reside in SW Oregon. Our URL is in my signature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TabletopHomestead said:
Ox, I've known your name for about 6 years. CSRL was the first homesteading list I knew of and I've enjoyed it. It's a shame it's so quiet. Anyway, dh and I are vets too, not wartime (yet) though.

Judy and David at Tabletop Homestead, Oklahoma
Well good to make contact with you again. Has it been six years since the boom days of CSRL? My my!
We are still pressing on at Singing Falls. Working, watching and waiting.

Be safe as vets OK? I didn't know Mashiach at all during my vet days.

C rations and napalm every day. Flares and boom boom every night. Helicopters everywhere. Those were some days. But what do you know when your newly nineteen and greedy for combat pay? Yep, I volunteered. What a goof!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks, we will. Love your website. Hadn't really looked it over in a while. Your timber-frame barn is great and dw's work with the mohair is awesome.

ox said:
Well good to make contact with you again. Has it been six years since the boom days of CSRL? My my!
We are still pressing on at Singing Falls. Working, watching and waiting.

Be safe as vets OK? I didn't know Mashiach at all during my vet days.

C rations and napalm every day. Flares and boom boom every night. Helicopters everywhere. Those were some days. But what do you know when your newly nineteen and greedy for combat pay? Yep, I volunteered. What a goof!

·
23,497 Posts
Welcome Ox, I used to read about your and your wife at the Christian Homesteaders forum. It went down and I have never found it again. Nice to hear from you. How is Alexandra? She has the best writing style!!! Hope to see you both around the boards, visit up on the family board too if you get a chance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TabletopHomestead said:
Thanks, we will. Love your website. Hadn't really looked it over in a while. Your timber-frame barn is great and dw's work with the mohair is awesome.
Thanks for the encouragment. The site is in the process of a miner overhaul at the moment. It won't be too different. Just won't take so much room on the server.
Yes we are still growing mohair and swimming up the societal stream with our efforts. No complaints. Just hard work and more hard work.

Melissa said:
How is Alexandra?

Alexandra is doing very well. We are half way done "put'n up". Still have squash and apples to deal with. Hay's in. We are in the midst of breeding season for the angoras. Trying to get the wood in and "winterize" the place. The bees are getting treated with Oxalic Acid and the honey supers are sitting in the kitchen waiting to be extracted (not a good thing ;) ) She has been spinning and weaving and processing the fall clip of mohair for different people. But she in good spirits and watching with me. She is thankful for your kind words. We've been keeping a low profile on the net but a fellow on www.beesource.com mentioned the site and rekindled my interest so we thought we'd test the waters as it were.

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
Hey there, Stan! It's great to see that you're visiting this forum. How's Alexandra doing?

We hope to read more about the life that you two have in Oregon. When are you two gonna come visit us in Minnesota?

Later, Cabin Fever and Wind In Her Hair

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cabin Fever said:
Hey there, Stan! It's great to see that you're visiting this forum. How's Alexandra doing?

We hope to read more about the life that you two have in Oregon. When are you two gonna come visit us in Minnesota?

Later, Cabin Fever and Wind In Her Hair
Hey Cabin Fever! Is that you? Well good to hear from you also. We've been doing the "them that's doin' " scenario out here full tilt. Ran 80 head of angoras last year and we're really pleased with how the goats are grading up. Soon we'll have a 100% colored angora goat spinners herd. ( 'Course I hear tell you hate goats :) ) All of that despite scorching droughts and raging forest fires. Surely He is watching over us. And you and the wife? Out there ice fishing I suspect or not quite yet???

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Stanley can you explain to this novice on fiber animals where cashmere comes from and if (and if not, why not) anyone grows it over here? What relation is it to mohair if any? Thanks, Jennifer, noncombat veteran 7 years, hoping for my next homestead in a year or so, and bemused owner of regular (Rambouilet) sheep in the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts