Introduction

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moldy, Mar 4, 2004.

1. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

Newbie here, but have really enjoyed reading all the posts so far. Right now, I live on 1 1/2 acres on the edge of a major city (we are inside the city limits by a number of feet). I would really love to move out further while still being able to commute to work. I work as a nurse and really enjoy my job, in limited quantites! Our city and development have tight restrictions on livestock - we would like to raise chickens and maybe a goat or two.
    So far, we have a large garden in which we raise vegetables, and rabbits (4H projects for the kids). I am working on skills I would need on a homestead. DH hunts and can dress out deer and birds. I know how to bake bread, stock a pantry, sew, and can.
    Dream property would be one with good water, some wooded area, and fairly close to a paved (or semi-paved) road. Dream house would have much mass (built from concrete or a berm home), with a rainwater system and possibly a windmill or solar panels.
    I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you all and living vicariously thru you for a while (till we find the right property and are able to finance it!).

Moldy

2. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Welcome aboard! You'll enjoy it here...

my DH & I are going to be building a basement house (not a berm) this summer.... I'll be your guinnea pig!

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Moldy!

4. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

Hi Moldy,
    if you are already in Kansas, I believe they are giving land away right in your state.....perhaps it is because there are no jobs there??? Marquette, I think.

Anyway, this country is at the peak of one of the biggest land price booms ever, so you could quite feasibly fetch a great sum for your "inside city limits by a few feet" property & purchasing land further away would cost less, allowing you to pocket the difference for building etc. Plus because you rolled the money over into another property purchase you won't have to pay capital gains.
    What your proposing to do is basically the opposite of what the majority of people are doing & I would suggest that this is a great time to do it.
    Good luck. :)

5. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

CMATE,
    Capitol gain tax rules changed several years ago. Now there are no capital gains on the first $250,000 ($500,000 if married) of your principle residence. The only rules on this are that you have to have lived in it and owned it for two years or lived in it two of the last five years and owned it the whole time.
    Kirk

6. We live just outside Wichita and although the aircraft industry is iffy, right now there are plenty of jobs. I work as a nurse, so my job is highly transportable (is that a word?). I'll have to check into the thing in Marquette, I hadn't heard about it. Now if Boeing ships more jobs overseas.... well, it could be a looonnnngggg time to sell the house!

7. flaswampratt

flaswampratt Well-Known Member

Well if it aint, it are a word now! :p

Welcome, and Best Regards........

<><

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

How do Moldy. Aren't these some of the greatest, smartest, most resourceful people in the world? Love having you on board.

9. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board, Moldy.. from one newbie to another..

Sounds like you have the vision and the drive.. I am sure you will find a way.

Don