Homesteading Forum banner

Introduction of Me

761 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  LindaT_AK 
#1 ·
I thought I'd like to tell a little about me, first so you'll know why i ask such stupid questions. I'm 25, and a homemaker, I don't have kids but the husband fills the roll quite often. We have 30acres in a tiny town called Flora, Mississippi. Until I got married my only gardening was restricted to containers. THen I grew my first vegetables, squash was the easiest, which is good as squash is the closest thing to heaven there is( I LOVE SQUASH)
Well I just found this board and am excited about having some real folks to discuss what ya'all call homesteading. I don't know what it is in me that tends toward the traditional. I started out just wanting chickens, and the only book in the library I could find was "The Homesteader's Guide to Raising Small Livestock" I was wooed by the idea of raising my own food, not just a few plants in the garden. I realized that I already have what was most important for just that. Lots of space and lots of time. In that book the author mentioned his publication: "Countryside and small stock" and I got my first issue just this week! I got my rabbits in November, and 6 silkie chickens(for broodies of course, not because theyre cute). I didn't know how lucky I am, until I read how many people are looking and/or doing very well with very few acres. Also, I always thought I didn't like Mississippi, until I started really gardening. Now I appreciate that long growing. With rich soil and long growing season, and a rich culture of farming and quilting. Also plenty of older people who still remember HAVING to live this lifestyle, willing to share knowlage. Well Im sure I could write a book on my ideas but I'll save it. You can go to my homepage to see pics of my rabbits and chicks.

http://hometown.aol.com/lomagick/

Thanx,

Katy

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Katy! Hi! Welcome and have fun...I can already tell that you are! You have probably noticed that there is a Plant and Gardening Forum also and there are lots of good ideas there. Good luck with your stock. LQ ps I love squash too!

G
#6 ·
Crazylady, we need more women like you. Sounds like you have your head on straight. God bless you and your family. Women like you are hard to find (tell your husband i said so). Fortunatly I also have one. Keep doing what you are doing, life is short. Sounds to me like you are someone that has found happiness, (speaking from experience).
Mike

#7 ·
Unregistered said:
Crazylady, we need more women like you. Sounds like you have your head on straight. God bless you and your family. Women like you are hard to find (tell your husband i said so). Fortunatly I also have one. Keep doing what you are doing, life is short. Sounds to me like you are someone that has found happiness, (speaking from experience).
Mike

If I ever had a nicer compliment I can't remember it! Thank you so much. Everyone, especially other women tell me I won't be able to butcher my rabbits when the time comes! That makes me all the more determined. Besides I want to make a fur blanket. :) Back in the old days, and still in some places, it WAS the women that killed and cleaned the chickens. If they were strong enough, why shouldn't I be? I have a chemical imbalance that causes depression. But now that I've got my rabbits I feel I'm really doing something good! And I haven't had a 'bad day' in a long time.

Thanx again,

Katy

#8 ·
Hi CrazyLady...I have been a lurker here and reading for a couple weeks now. You are lucky that you have a longer growing season. I am an avid gardener, but I live up here in Alaska and my growing season is very short, so I have to have greenhouses, but with those, I grow just about everything. I live on the original family homestead here and have no indoor plumbing to speak of, raise birds and try to be as self-sufficient as possible.
Linda T. in Ak. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.