Introduction of Me

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CrazyLadyMs, Feb 14, 2004.

1. CrazyLadyMs

CrazyLadyMs Member

I thought I'd like to tell a little about me, first so you'll know why i ask such stupid questions. I'm 25, and a homemaker, I don't have kids but the husband fills the roll quite often. We have 30acres in a tiny town called Flora, Mississippi. Until I got married my only gardening was restricted to containers. THen I grew my first vegetables, squash was the easiest, which is good as squash is the closest thing to heaven there is( I LOVE SQUASH)
    Well I just found this board and am excited about having some real folks to discuss what ya'all call homesteading. I don't know what it is in me that tends toward the traditional. I started out just wanting chickens, and the only book in the library I could find was "The Homesteader's Guide to Raising Small Livestock" I was wooed by the idea of raising my own food, not just a few plants in the garden. I realized that I already have what was most important for just that. Lots of space and lots of time. In that book the author mentioned his publication: "Countryside and small stock" and I got my first issue just this week! I got my rabbits in November, and 6 silkie chickens(for broodies of course, not because theyre cute). I didn't know how lucky I am, until I read how many people are looking and/or doing very well with very few acres. Also, I always thought I didn't like Mississippi, until I started really gardening. Now I appreciate that long growing. With rich soil and long growing season, and a rich culture of farming and quilting. Also plenty of older people who still remember HAVING to live this lifestyle, willing to share knowlage. Well Im sure I could write a book on my ideas but I'll save it. You can go to my homepage to see pics of my rabbits and chicks.

http://hometown.aol.com/lomagick/

Thanx,

Katy

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Hey Katy! Hi! Welcome and have fun...I can already tell that you are! You have probably noticed that there is a Plant and Gardening Forum also and there are lots of good ideas there. Good luck with your stock. LQ ps I love squash too!

3. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Hi Katy
    That was me that suggested you post over here. The login thingy ain't signing me in :confused:

Anyhow Welcome!
    Happy Valentines Day to ya!

We are glad you joined us. Sounds like you will be a great asset to us. Hope we can be just as helpful to you.

4. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Welcome Katy!
    I look forward to hearing any of your "stories" as you learn and grow in self-sufficiency.

Peg

5. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

The only "stupid" question is the unasked question....ask away! We're all beginners at SOMETHING :haha:

6. Crazylady, we need more women like you. Sounds like you have your head on straight. God bless you and your family. Women like you are hard to find (tell your husband i said so). Fortunatly I also have one. Keep doing what you are doing, life is short. Sounds to me like you are someone that has found happiness, (speaking from experience).
    Mike

7. CrazyLadyMs

CrazyLadyMs Member

If I ever had a nicer compliment I can't remember it! Thank you so much. Everyone, especially other women tell me I won't be able to butcher my rabbits when the time comes! That makes me all the more determined. Besides I want to make a fur blanket. :) Back in the old days, and still in some places, it WAS the women that killed and cleaned the chickens. If they were strong enough, why shouldn't I be? I have a chemical imbalance that causes depression. But now that I've got my rabbits I feel I'm really doing something good! And I haven't had a 'bad day' in a long time.

Thanx again,

Katy

8. LindaT_AK

LindaT_AK Well-Known Member

Hi CrazyLady...I have been a lurker here and reading for a couple weeks now. You are lucky that you have a longer growing season. I am an avid gardener, but I live up here in Alaska and my growing season is very short, so I have to have greenhouses, but with those, I grow just about everything. I live on the original family homestead here and have no indoor plumbing to speak of, raise birds and try to be as self-sufficient as possible.
    Linda T. in Ak. :)