Introduction from a new member

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gregw, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Gregw

Gregw Member

Louisville, Kentucky (Land in Anderson County)
    Hi All, I have been looking for an active forum like this one for some time. (Guess I was looking in the wrong places) I’m a 43 y.o. Architect from Louisville Kentucky working toward my move to the country.(About 2 years away) My brother and I have 90 (rough) acres about an hour outside of town, which will become my homestead. We have a small cabin, but I will need to build a barn / shop to make it home.

I’m not sure what is considered “Homesteading” but I plan to sell all my non-essentials and pursue a simpler life away from the corporate grind. I am definitely not a purest, so it will be a mix of traditional hunting, gardening, and high-tech. Possibly an ebay store selling handmade Kentucky crafts.

Anyway, I’m happy to be here and look forward to learning from the first-hand experience of this community. (Especially if it helps to keep my 1963 Massey Ferguson running) I’ll try to contribute within my area of expertise, however my Architectural specialty is healthcare.

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

welcome this is a good place to learn and if you have any input jump in

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

welcome. you will find on this board a good mix of people. Like Mtman said jump in .

5. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Yeah, you'll like. No dumb questions here (I ought to know!). Mighty pretty country where you are. Good luck and welcome!

6. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Welcome Greg. You'll find most of the people here are happy in the new lives they are pursuing. Occasionally, you'll find someone who is challenged when it comes to adult discourse, but by and large this is a great site.

Could I put you to work?

Since your background is in Architectural healthcare, I have a question about a master bathroom we are building. We plan to make the shower big enough for two people and will include a bench for seated showering. Is there anything else we should put in there in preparation for our "senior years"?

Thanks.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Welcome aboard Gregg! Always glad to have new gray matter around here. Sometimes we tend to get ours all tied in a knot but it does not last long so dont fret about it the first time it happens to you!

8. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Welcome!
    Just want to echo, jump in and have fun!
    lots to do here, sometimes I spend forever on this place.....
    ya know, research! lol!

9. Gregw

Gregw Member

Louisville, Kentucky (Land in Anderson County)
    Thanks for the warm welcome, I'll do my best to fit or at least share my thoughts.

Mysticokra; For your shower I would suggest Stainless steel grab bars, maybe not right away, but put blocking in the wall now so that if you need them you can just bolt them on. The next step would make the shower wheel chair friendly which means roll-in or easy transfer out of a chair to your bench, but that may be a bit extreme at this point. Hope that helps.

10. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Welcome fellow Kentuckian, :hand: glad you are here. Lots of opinions here and with an open mind, you will learn lots. But, the best part is the support we have for one another, especially when the rest of the world thinks we are "off our rocker" ;)

11. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

WELCOME Gregw;
    You are definately in the right place. I would love to be off the grid but can't afford the outlay for the system. I'm still trying to understand how home solar power systems work. I'd like to do more, be more self-sufficient and I am working towards that goal...still. I love living a simple life and am once again in the process of scaling down, decluttering and reevaluating the necessity of the possessions I do have. I LOVE this forum it is the only place where I have found so many good like-minded people who are so kind and willing to share their wisdom and encouragement when I need it. I hope you love it here, too. WELCOME! :)
    tamilee

12. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

13. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Hi from GA Greg. You will love it here; a great bunch of folks. :)

14. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Jump in when ever you wish to, but also know that there is an archives with about every question and answers allready there from the past, I don't think there are any new questions left to ask!! Pack a lunch, its a long way to the end of them....

15. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Mitch (and others)

I haven't been able to access the archives. I have tried twice in the last two weeks.

I assume they are working the bugs out. Can anyone else get into them?

Rick

16. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

17. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Welcome and good luck on your new place!

hollym