Introduction and water pump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Sep 18, 2005.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone, I have been reading your posts for the past month and have found this site excellent and very informative so I decided to join. My name is Chris and I'm from Canada. My question is, I have a cistern in my house and in the past month or so when I flush the toilet or turn on a tap the pump comes on and off fairly rapidly. It use to come on and stay on when the tap was running then the pump would shut off when the tap went off. Is the pump waterlogged? The pressure tank is one of the new ones with the pressure valve on the top. Can I fix this without calling a plumber? Hope you can help. I am currently trying to sell this place, more on that later. Thanks, Chris

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a tire guage and check the amount of pressure in the tank. You do this at the valve at the top of the tank. Follow the instructions on the tank. I think on mine I have to have the pump off and a spigot open. If you don't have the correct pressure, then either add air or let air out as applicable. I check mine about every 6 months or so, or if I hear the pump running too much.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Typically when one of these type tanks was working and then fails the bladder inside the tank has ruptured. On a few of these it is possible to change the bladder but the price savings is hard to justify since the old tank may rust through. I think a new tank as a replacement is possibly in order. Attempt to determine if the tank is full of water. It should not be. Should you buy a new tank get the largest one your budget can handle. The replacement is easily within the limits of any handy person.

4. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll try to check the pressure first and see if that works.