Introducing....Rainbow Butt and Brownie!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by savinggrace, Jul 24, 2006.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Here are photos of Duroc X Hamp. piggies Rainbow Butt and Brownie, born June 3rd. They have so much personality!

Rainbow Butt is a little larger and braver, Brownie likes her neck scratched. We do have one little problem. One of the barn kittens seems to enjoy their company. They seem to see the kitten as a fuzzy funny looking litter mate, I am concerned when they get a bit larger they might see the kitten as a snack!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, now I can see why people like keeping pot bellied pigs as pets. They really are delightful! (esp. at this size!)

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I cant see the pics :cool:

OK , I guess I had to take the shades off :rolleyes:

3. savinggrace

sorry bob, fixed it! :)

4. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

thanks, I love hogs

these pics make me remember the huge gentle Duroc sows I had in highschool

thanks

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I just love the red/white belted pigs. I've got a little red/white gilt myself! I'm flooding her pen as I write - it is HOT! I feel bad for my arizona pigs.

Niki

6. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Good Looking Hogs......You are now an officicial "Pig Person" life will never be the same and you will have to have pigs around you the rest of your life.......May God have mercy on your soul...LOL You will even find stuff that "Up North" comes up with funny happy for you and yours

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Nice pigs. Now for the test....Are you going to be able to put these guys in the freezer when the time comes????? I think that is why some of us have decided to farrow sows. Then you at least get to keep somebody around for a while and they can stay your friend. Not to mention...who can resist a piglet. LOL

Heather

8. savinggrace

Hi!

Thank you, we really like our piggies! :)

I think/hope that like most animals, they will be adorable and charming as little ones and will get tiresome when they are closer to 'the day'.

I have an appointment for 'the day' already set for early November; so, that will be that.

And I have become great buddies with the people we got these two from; they have the farrowing thing down to a science, so I know next spring we can get a couple more cuties! (or more!)

So we will spoil them and enjoy their company while they are with us. And I will learn to use the smokehouse we plan to build over winter. :dance:

My best,

Melissa

9. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

aren't they great. I can sit and think about pigs and stare at pigs for hours.

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Congratulations! :) They shouldn't consider the barn kitten a snack if they are raised together and each is fed adequately. Pigs will kill and eat just about anything that they can wrangle but it is relative to their situation and background. For istance in FL. poultry that flew into the pig pens was history if caught. Here the guineas and turkeys eat out of the pig bowls while the pigs are eating. Yesterday Grunt and Squeaker broke into my chickn pen to clean up the feed on the ground. They left the chicks (whch were going crazy flying and jumping all over the place) alone. Thank goodness! :)

11. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

They are great looking pigs! It is great that you have them looking so healthy. I am not sure about the cat...I haven't found hogs to be nearly voracious as they are rumoured to be when it comes to eating live animals. We have had escapee and free-range chickens on many occasions scratching the ground in, around and in front of the pigs without any incidents so far. They are quite smart of course and I can't help but think that they know the difference between food and fellow livestock?!

12. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Don't count on it! :Bawling: :help: