Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this site again, and want to tell you about our family. We are maple sugarmakers in Randolph Center, Vermont. We have been sugaring since the 1940s, and have a new, solar-powered sugarhouse. We boil over a wood fire, and tap 6100. The snow can be very deep here, at sugaring time in the early spring. We also make maple cream, candy, granulated sugar, and maple sugar covered nuts. We welcome tourists, and have a website, www.sillowaymaple.com. We also enjoy putting news on our maple facebook page, silloway maple.

·
Registered
214 Posts
WELCOME!

Delicious looking products and good looking website. I just bought two 12oz bottles of Dark Amber from a local maker here in PA at a craft show we did over the weekend. Your prices are very reasonable too.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I am interested in finding a few locations to take our maple products to; preferably ones that do not currently have a maple vendor. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not being from your neck of the woods, I don't have any suggestions. Do you do craft shows in your area? Syrup usually sells well at craft shows and farmers markets.

When we first started, we just took some jars of our jams, etc. and started going to stores we thought might be interested. We gave them a few jars and all our information, and then called back on them in a few more days. Some of our best customers came to us that way.

We also sell to upickit farms and a few tourist attractions in our area, and we private label for some of them. We do event favors, corporate gifts and non-profit fundraisers.

Granted we didn't start out this way, but there are a few avenues you can try.

Jim

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hi Silloway, and welcome! I grew up in New England and also sugared when I was an adolescent. Hard work, ain't it? I also lived in Saint Johnsbury for a bit, so I can appreciate your winter/spring weather.

I second the idea of craft shows as a venue for selling your product. In addition to direct sales, they are a good way to make your company known in different areas, and to stimulate word of mouth advertising.

Two ideas come to mind. Phillips Academy in Andover, MA had an annual craft show called 'HandSprings' (I am going back thirty years, so I have no recent knowledge), and also King Richards Fair in Carver, Ma.

Peace,
Curtis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts