Homesteading Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Jeepers, I can't tell you the number of times people say, "How do you keep it lit?" when I tell them I smoke salmon.

I've never heard that one before. :rolleyes:

What type of cold smoke system do you have for cheese?

To my understanding up your way they use alder. Down here we use hickory and oak, they grow everywhere around here.

I'm not above using the Texas crutch when smoking pork shoulder and a chuck eye roll is way better than brisket. No trim, no waste.

One should try to smoke a whole top sirloin sometime. Smoke to 125 degrees internal temp, pull it out of the smoker and the temp will rise to a tad over 130, rare in the middle. Slice it thin and you couldn't ask for better BBQ beef.

Sauce/horseradish sauce optional.
You're killing me smalls! Now I'm hungry. We use alser,hickory,ect. To smoke the cheese I use a smoke tube in my enclosed smoker. Smoke for 4 hours.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Interesting concept about smoking eggs.

Have you ever hard-boiled them in an Instant Pot?

Hands down best way to boil an egg.

Set the pressure cooker for around eight minutes. When it reaches zero, carefully release the pressure and immediately plunge the eggs into ice water.

The shells just slide right off.
Ya know I have an Inst pot that has been collecting dust,lol. I might need to try the eggs.

·
Banned
Been There Done That, Got The T-shirt
7,595 Posts
You're killing me smalls! Now I'm hungry. We use alser,hickory,ect. To smoke the cheese I use a smoke tube in my enclosed smoker. Smoke for 4 hours.
Do you have a picture of your cold smoke setup?

I was reluctant to try cold smoking salmon because of the cost of raw materials and the fact that, like cheese, the smoke chamber can't get above around 80 degrees.

Cheese will melt and salmon will then hot smoke.

I was looking for a commercial kitchen where I could produce my marinated hot smoked salmon for sale, and I asked a local restaurateur is I could use hers.

She said that she was wanting to offer a cold-smoked salmon, so I thought I would make an attempt.

Well, it turns out that I went with lox instead.

Being as a country boy can survive, I made a kinda sorta imitation cold-smoked salmon.

You take a cup of sugar, a cup of kosher salt and a cup of Wright's Liquid Smoke, (Best kind, and I'm not above a little help in the smokin' department) the liquid smoke is the fudge that gets you out of actually having to impart smoke flavor with fire and wood.

Add that to a gallon of water and boil.

Let it cool down to around 40 degrees, any higher and you will start to cook the salmon.

Throw a folded slab of salmon in a gallon double zipper bag. Add a copious amount of brine and brine for up to 24 hours, (turning every few hours so all of the flesh is equally exposed to the brine) and Voi-lass! (Okay, Voila) you've got you a hybrid lox/cold-smoked salmon.

The woman liked the stuff, and it was my first attempt.

Side story.

I sold my marinated, hot smoked, salmon pâté to Johnny Morris' sister, she and her husband ran the chain of liquor stores where Johnny had started Bass Pro Shops, headquartered here in Springfield.

They had a fancy liquor store/headquarters called the Brown Derby International Wine Center. Joann had a little deli where she sold fancy cheeses, (you'd probably like that) and fancy meats like prosciutto, (I have an Italian immigrant friend in Connecticut that used to make his own, He soundsa likea the Godfathera) he's a great guy.

Anyway, I sold the pâté to Joann over 20 years ago for $10 per pound and she in turn retailed it for $15. They told me that two years after I quit selling it to them, (commercial kitchen troubles) they still had people coming in asking about it.

PS, this song for some reason gets me to thinking about BBQ.

Maybe they were smoking their meat with BC Bud. Or would it be Acapulco Gold?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am a very long time member of this forum. I now live in the Spicewood, Texas, area, outside of Austin. I have raised most of the farm animals in the course of homesteading in three locations. Goats are my favorite.

I have a retired oilfield husband, two sons, four grandchildren, two cats (at the moment - one is an ANCIENT rescue), five goats, and one dog.

I retired from teaching English, Speech Communication, and Art in a very small school district. I was also the public speaking coach, yearbook coordinator, and a few other odds and ends.

There are too many sentences beginning with "I" in this post. :oops: (I moonlight as the Grammar Police)

Management of the family trust and my rental properties consumes a significant chunk of time, so full time retirement has escaped me.
Alice, I have kin folks who live in Spicwood. Small world! LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey one and all! I’m from East Texas, close to Tyler, Texas. I’m 70 year old wife, mother of 5 (blended family), grandmother of 11 and great-grandmother of 3. My husband retired from Union Pacific RR after 36 years. We’ve been married 32 years as of Christmas Eve, 2021. We have 3 small black dogs, all rescues. They are our babies. 2 were from a puppy mill, and were seized. Not sure about the other one. I’ve never lived anywhere but East Texas. Within 50 miles of where I was born. LOL I love country living. Never lived in a big city for longer than a year. Don’t like big cities. We have an acre of land, and I want to have a big garden, but it’s not possible. We can’t do the work to get it done. Hubby has had back surgery that didn’t work too well, and has had pancreatitis since 1974. It’s now chronic and acute. He hurts 24 hours every day. I’m so glad to be here. I’ve learned a lot from all of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm Carol from Slovenia. I'm not a native speaker, so please excuse my broken English. I'm working on it, but it takes time. My husband is from Northern England, so he helps me a lot with this.
One year ago we decided to leave Manchester and move to the countryside in Slovenia to live a peaceful and healthy life surrounded by nature. We both work remotely from home so it was easy to set up. I'd say this is how all this Covid situation has impacted our life.
I love crafts, cooking, hiking, renovating stuff, and reading. Hope to find good friends here 🙂

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm Carol from Slovenia. I'm not a native speaker, so please excuse my broken English. I'm working on it, but it takes time. My husband is from Northern England, so he helps me a lot with this.
One year ago we decided to leave Manchester and move to the countryside in Slovenia to live a peaceful and healthy life surrounded by nature. We both work remotely from home so it was easy to set up. I'd say this is how all this Covid situation has impacted our life.
I love crafts, cooking, hiking, renovating stuff, and reading. Hope to find good friends here 🙂
Any pictures? Just wondering what it looks like there. I don’t know too much about Slovenia.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Carol: Do you keep bees, we do in slovenian hives with fairly good success. Welcome!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
We have 3 acres in the middle of the lower peninsula of Michigan. I grew up on a dairy farm, and I have done industrial maintenance for close to 30 years.
Our kids are 21 and 19 and help around here when they are not at work.
We raise laying chickens and have a garden, but as I get closer to retirement, turkeys, 'scovy ducks, meat chickens and rabbits are 'looming', along with fruit trees and bushes and a couple bee hives.

·
I love boobies
828 Posts
I shrugged like Atlas back in '05, founded an offgrid homestead in a high mountain valley that hadn't had inhabitants since the miners back in 1880.

Greenhouse, conservatory, big-ass garden. Passive and active solar, turbines, earth bermed/sheltered/banking in-the-round timberframe piece-en-piece log home I built myself from timber I cut on my land. Native rock spring house. Have chickens and have had goats and ducks.

Kinky, poly, individualist/market/relationship anarchist.

My next project is a tropical fruit and flower farm in Puerto Rico but Maria and then the pandemic had put it on hold

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello there, Just joined up...

I'm a 43 yr old SWM, just moved back to my home state to help my parents out for a little while because they were hit by a drunk driver. Also, ended a 19yr long relationship, so starting over in many ways I guess. I am not currently on a homestead, but, grew up on one and have had several homesteads/farms in the past myself. We have over 2 1/2 acres here and really wish we were doing more with them, but half of my parents are for it, and the other half is against it, and since I won't be here that long I'm just trying to keep the piece. We have started making a garden area though, but that stopped when my dad went in for another surgery; hoping to still get something done before it gets too cold to work the ground with the small tractor we have.

I have raised market gardens, goats (dairy and meat), Chickens (layers and meat), Cows (you get the picture by now), ducks, pigs, and rabbits.

I am looking to find a new place within the next year (most likely here in CO or WY but not a must) and hoping to be living full-time on it by 2024.

I enjoy building things from homes to furniture, working on cars (mostly the oldies), learning new skills, etc. I'm very self-reliant and rather fail 3-4 times learning something than not learn it (but don't take that as that I don't ask for help, I actually greatly respect others' knowledge and seek it out).

I'm not much of an online person (no social media accounts etc.), so if I missed something here I'm sorry, and you're welcome to ask me anything, if you go to far I'll let yo know.

I hope to meet some great people with simular interest on here and share some knowledge!

·
Premium Member
34,245 Posts
I either missed this old thread when it first came out or just didn't bother to reply.

I'm Danaus, not my real name of course. I was a Monarch butterfly ambassador when my kids were in school. I purposefully introduced milkweed into my neighborhood when there was none growing here.

I don't like giving out too much info because ..... well ..... okay, just call me paranoid. I'm not in a witness protection program and I'll just leave it at that.

I spent my early years on a family farm where we raised beef cows and chickens. Later I lived in a city anf thoroughly HATED both the city and the snobby people who lived there. Now I live close to a big city.

I have several gardens and frequently test the limits of growing crops in shade because of the trees in and around my place. I have a sunny garden too.

·
Registered
Homesteader in the making
42 Posts
Hi there! I'm also new to the forum and to homesteading.
I recently bought/inherited family land (nothings free). I work in IT for a major university but I'm not exactly a stranger to living in the country but it's fair to say it's been a while so I'm rusty. I also have a YouTube channel where I'm documenting reclaiming the land from both mother nature and the works of my father-in-law who was a great guy so I try not to speak poorly of him when I get mad about his dumping. lol If you're interested in seeing any of my work please check out my channel from my link in my profile.
I have a goal of cleaning up the land and within 5 years starting to build a home. BUT, I'm really interested in building a small cabin also. We have about 32 acres in North Georgia and I only get to work there on the weekends mostly. I really enjoy it but it is a bit overwhelming and difficult to know what's the priority this weekend when there's so much to do. LOL

Thanks for starting this so I can learn about everyone as a new member!

101 - 116 of 116 Posts