Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
My name is Starry and I do not understand why any of you decided to give any tiny amount of personal info to anyone on this site. Having been married to a Secret Service agent I know this has all the earmarks of something scary. It's one thing to be nice here, and co operate, but i will say that everyone one those posts you entered have given anyone a very easy way to find you if they wanted to. I generally feel safe here but this raises a big red flag for me. Y'all can be mad at me if you want to.
Right on the money. I 'Liked' one message. Now I am replying to yours. So I'm already a target if need be but its just a big waste of their time. Sigh. And they really have to get hard core to come up our logging trail. What a waste of time unless really bored.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was gone for awhile so I thought it would be fun for everyone to tell a little about themselves like who they are and where they are from. Lots of new people I don't recognize. I am Tiffany. I am a 35 year old mother of three from Oregon. I am a big outdoors person and love everything from hiking, hunting,fishing to gold panning. I am always up for adventure, a bit sassy but overall very friendly person.
Hello Everyone. I have read some conversations here since joining, but this is my first contribution. We are a Mennonite family living on the Washington and Idaho State line in a very rural area. I have raised animals, kept a garden, preserved food, built things, sewn for my family, ect. for all of my life. I do find some information here useful. We have 3 sons. Thank you for having me.

·
The Renegade...
4,010 Posts
Hello Everyone. I have read some conversations here since joining, but this is my first contribution. We are a Mennonite family living on the Washington and Idaho State line in a very rural area. I have raised animals, kept a garden, preserved food, built things, sewn for my family, ect. for all of my life. I do find some information here useful. We have 3 sons. Thank you for having me.
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I was gone for awhile so I thought it would be fun for everyone to tell a little about themselves like who they are and where they are from. Lots of new people I don't recognize. I am Tiffany. I am a 35 year old mother of three from Oregon. I am a big outdoors person and love everything from hiking, hunting,fishing to gold panning. I am always up for adventure, a bit sassy but overall very friendly person.
I'm Dona (AKA The Queen's Blessing, the name of our homestead after our honeybees and a nod to Robert Jordan). Hubby and I live in southern NH where we have a small homestead. We raise Katahdins, the occasional steer when our freezer demands, a couple of pigs every year, turkeys, chickens (meat and egg), honeybees, and rough collies and a couple of spoiled barn/house cats. I stay home and work the homestead and raise the collies and hubby is a field supervisor for an environmental consulting company working on New England's Asian Longhorned Beetle eradication program. We are 4 seasons kinda folks so we love to canoe, kayak, boat, fish, and garden all summer, fish more and hunt and harvest and preserve all fall as well as admire the lovely New England autumn landscape, ice fish and snuggle in front of the fire dreaming of spring in the winter, collect and boil sap and graft fruit trees in the time between full on winter and baby spring, and plot, plan and plant all spring. We're members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I'm an old timer to this forum. ;)

·
The Renegade...
4,010 Posts
Thank you. I don't really know what I am doing here yet, but trust that I'll figure it out.
I’m sure that you will figure it out… there’s some wonderful people here to share ideas and experiences with.
I personally look forward to seeing your posts and hope that your experience here is a life enriching one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Ms Oregon , i come from virginias apalachian hills, but left with my parents to work in the building trades union jobs , manageing to hold on to the family farm ,and in the 80s buying the neighbours 100 acres as well , retireing at 50 - 14 years ago moveing to there full time to become a self sustaining homesteader , raiseing rabbits , chickens , milk cow , dairy goats , pig , gardens , canning , bee keeping ,and makeing molasses , with the hobby of rehabing older small farming stuff to use , canners , milkers , walk behind tractor , cane mill , and though we use older tractors for makeing hay n plowing we keep the old horse drawn stuff just in case . its nice to have the chalanges of life ,like bills and insurance covered by a pension ,and being debt free , now tinkering around in retirement .

·
Banned
Been There Done That, Got The T-shirt
7,595 Posts
Hello, @Oregon1986

I am a 65yo RAKA. (Right Above Knee Amputee)

I lost my right leg in a hit-and-run motorcycle wreck, August 19/2011, between 8:30 and 9:00 PM CST.

The guy (Seth Hamilton) clobbered me and was kind enough to leave me in the ditch to die.

I made the 911 call myself.

I live near Springfield, MO

I am originally from Storrs, CT home of the UCONN Huskies, I grew up in Peoria Arizona just west of Phoenix and after getting married, moved to Ava, Missouri.

I worked for about four years out of Portland, (Our yard was on Swan Island) delivering new class eight sleeper trucks throughout the lower 48 and from Vancouver Island, BC to Halifax, NS in Canada

I started throwing the Phoenix Gazette at the age of 10. I kept a menagerie of chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, and rabbits and a beehive at one point in the back yard. As a pre-teen I worked in the cotton fields of Arizona, tromped cotton and shoveled out ditches. I have worked alongside the non-English speaking field workers from south of the border in the watermelon and onion fields, was a grocery carryout and worked in a pizza parlor, all before graduating high school.

My first car, post-graduation was a pickup truck, that I paid for.

I learned how to arc weld in Ag shop. After graduation I baled alfalfa and picked cotton for my uncle. Worked as a warehouseman in Phoenix, was a teacher's aide in the ag shop where I went to school, teaching welding basics. Pounded nails framing houses, (back then every nail was hand-driven). Delivered roof trusses around greater Phoenix. Worked sorting feeder pigs in Missouri and on a 150 head cattle ranch, from castrating/dehorning/worming/vaccinating to building fence,

Worked on a 300-cow total confinement 3x a day milking dairy in Connecticut and an 85 head dairy in Vermont. Worked at a sand-molded clay brick manufacturing company in Connecticut and a Machine shop that did machine work for Pratt-Whitney Aircraft. Was a bulk feed hauler in Missouri, worked at a Rainbow Trout fishery and as a deputy sheriff in Douglas County, (Booger County) Missouri.,

I cut portion-controlled steaks to within a quarter oz for hotel/restaurant, I rebuilt hydraulic cylinders, (re-sealed, straightened/replaced bent chrome rods, repaired/replaced DOM honed tubes and liquid-tight arc welded (with a stick I can weld flat, vertical and overhead, MIG weld and TIG weld and run both a plasma cutter and a carbon arc. Cut threads and machined from a piece of stock, any part necessary to fix the cylinders.) Construction equipment transporter/operator and ran dump truck, dozer, loader and some backhoe. I've worked as a sign/billboard face installer, retail meat cutter, and post-divorce, delivered class eight trucks all over the lower 48 US and overland from Vancouver Island to Nova Scotia, Canada.

I changed jobs so many times because I had a family to support and went where the money was. I had as a goal to own a farm and tailored my work experiences to give me the experience necessary to independently own and operate one. And I as a young naïve boy bought into the opportunity myth, hook. line and sinker.

I've lost track of how many trees I felled and bucked up into cordwood. I ran my FIL's D69U Cat dozer that started with a pony motor clearing land.

I built a 24' X 24' shop/garage from shooting the grade to bringing the site up to grade and from the ground up. The only thing I didn't do myself was pour the floor, however, I formed it up. Two, two car Dutch gable end garages on my In-laws house too.

I consider myself a cattleman. I judged dairy in FFA in high school, took an AI course and studied embryo transfer. I can get a full breach calf out of a cow, raise it to slaughter, butcher it, cut it up, cook it and serve it to you.

For a hobby I make a marinated hot smoked salmon, lox and pate'.

I came to HT because one-legged cripples don't function well as farmers, and I have time on my hands.

I have a lifetime of hands-on experiences to share and felt that here would be a good place to offer what I spent my life learning and was the desire of my heart to practice.

That and I fancy myself something of a philosopher.

I find it kinda humorous that some who have been here longer than I, cast dispersions because I am a copious poster and I get the distinct impression that my short tenure as a participant equates that I am rurally/agriculturally clueless.

Let 'em eat cake.

From a bakery or the cottonseed variety, makes no difference to me. ;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hello,

I am a 65yo RAKA.

I live near Springfield, MO

I am originally from Storrs, CT home of the UCONN Huskies, I grew up in Peoria Arizona just west of Phoenix and after getting married, moved to Ava, Missouri.

I worked for about four years out of Portland, (Our yard was on Swan Island) delivering class eight sleeper trucks throughout the lower 48 and from Vancouver Island, BC to Halifax, NS in Canada

I started throwing the Phoenix Gazette at the age of 10. I kept a menagerie of chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, and rabbits and a beehive at one point in the back yard. As a pre-teen I worked in the cotton fields of Arizona, tromped cotton and shoveled out ditches. I have worked alongside the non-English speaking field workers from south of the border in the watermelon and onion fields, was a grocery carryout and worked in a pizza parlor, all before graduating high school.

My first car, post-graduation was a pickup truck, that I paid for.

I learned how to arc weld in Ag shop. After graduation I baled alfalfa and picked cotton for my uncle. Worked as a warehouseman in Phoenix, was a teacher's aide in the ag shop where I went to school, teaching welding basics. Pounded nails framing houses, (back then every nail was hand-driven). Delivered roof trusses around greater Phoenix. Worked sorting feeder pigs in Missouri and on a 150 head cattle ranch, from castrating/dehorning/worming/vaccinating to building fence,

Worked on a 300-cow total confinement 3x a day milking dairy in Connecticut and an 85 head dairy in Vermont. Worked at a sand-molded clay brick manufacturing company in Connecticut and a Machine shop that did machine work for Pratt-Whitney Aircraft. Was a bulk feed hauler in Missouri, worked at a Rainbow Trout fishery and as a deputy sheriff in Douglas County, (Booger County) Missouri.,

I cut portion-controlled steaks to within a quarter oz for hotel/restaurant, I rebuilt hydraulic cylinders, (re-sealed, straightened/replaced bent chrome rods, repaired/replaced DOM honed tubes and liquid-tight arc welded (with a stick I can weld flat, vertical and overhead, MIG welded and TIG welded. Cut threads and machined any part necessary to fix the cylinders.) Construction equipment transporter/operator and ran dump truck, dozer, loader and some backhoe. I've worked as a sign/billboard face installer, retail meat cutter, and delivered class eight trucks all over the lower 48 US and overland from Vancouver Island to Nova Scotia, Canada.

I changed jobs so many times because I had a family to support and went where the money was. I had as a goal to own a farm and tailored my work experiences to give me the experience necessary to independently own and operate one. And I as a young naïve boy bought into the opportunity myth, hook. line and sinker.

I consider myself a cattleman. I judged dairy in FFA in high school, took an AI course and studied embryo transfer. I can get a full breach calf out of a cow, raise it to slaughter, butcher it, cut it up, cook it and serve it to you.

For a hobby I make a marinated hot smoked salmon, lox and pate'.

I came to HT because one-legged cripples don't function well as farmers, and I have time on my hands.

I have a lifetime of hands-on experiences to share and felt that here would be a good place to offer what I spent my life learning and was the desire of my heart to practice.

That and I fancy myself something of a philosopher.

I find it kinda humorous that some who have been here longer than I, cast dispersions because I am a copious poster and I get the distinct impression that my short tenure as a participant equates that I am rurally/agriculturally clueless.

Let 'em eat cake.

From a bakery or the cottonseed variety, makes no difference to me. ;)
What is a RAKA?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I enjoy reading people’s stories, and while I don’t know anyone as I’m new, it is still fun to see everyone’s life in a nutshell.

Let’s see… Since getting married 4+ years ago we bought a very dilapidated fixer-upper in Washington state (what we could afford) on 6 acres. One year later we could move in, and have since gotten chickens, guineas, ducks, pigs, goats, a pet dog, and an LGD. We have the classic homesteading dream, but have a long way to go and a lot to learn. We have two young kids and want to have another which complicates how much responsibility I can take on (would love to get a small cattle breed, but not till we’re done with babies). I would LOVE to learn tips/tricks from y’all and am excited about the resource of this forum. I work one day/week but hope to be a stay-home Mom when we can afford it, love to feed my family home-cooked quality meals, and follow Jesus whole-heartedly.

I look forward to future “conversations” with y’all!
- Anna

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
Yes we do. Still have about 3" in my yard. Have had frozen fog for a week now.
I got into some of that climbing Cabbage eastbound out of Pendleton.

Weird stuff.

Ice was built up on the truck when I stopped at Ontario.

Reactions: 54metalman

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
I'm 62, married for 39 years and we're empty nesters which we enjoy. Two kids both married and self supporting, one an hour away, one five hours away, doing well and a couple of fun grandkids as well. Worked in and owned a large industrial construction firm for 40 years with a couple partners and did very well. Sold it to the younger generation and retired four years ago.

We're not really homesteaders but we like rural living and many aspects of the homesteaders lifestyle such as growing and harvesting food, living off and and pretty close to the land, etc. Our main place is a 160 acre patch in north central IN that is mostly wildlife habitat with some row crop ground. We've got a couple other farms that total up to about 400 acres. My wife says I like to play farmer. Spend lots of time messing around on tractors, planting things, cutting wood, taking care of the ponds, mowing, growing things, etc. Have planted over 40,000 trees on the home farm.

I'm an outdoor nut, very avid hunter and fishermen and take trips all over to pursue these hobbies, as well as doing lots of it right in the back yard and pretty close to home. Also like firearms, archery, building and fixing stuff. I can't sit still, so farm life is good as there is always a project to do.

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
You think that's bad? I had to explain to someone in great deal the other day what smoking meats meant. She thought it meant no joke that someone was blowing cigarette smoke onto meat🤣😂 I about died!! Smoking meat is one of my favorite ways to cook meat and I've recently started smoking cheeses too.
Jeepers, I can't tell you the number of times people say, "How do you keep it lit?" when I tell them I smoke salmon.

I've never heard that one before. :rolleyes:

What type of cold smoke system do you have for cheese?

To my understanding up your way they use alder. Down here we use hickory and oak, they grow everywhere around here.

I'm not above using the Texas crutch when smoking pork shoulder and a chuck eye roll is way better than brisket. No trim, no waste.

One should try to smoke a whole top sirloin sometime. Smoke to 125 degrees internal temp, pull it out of the smoker and the temp will rise to a tad over 130, rare in the middle. Slice it thin and you couldn't ask for better BBQ beef.

Sauce/horseradish sauce optional.

·
Banned
7,595 Posts
Now you have me curious if anyone has done that yet,lol. Do you like devilled eggs? If you do, you should try smoking your boiled eggs for 1 hour before cutting them open. So stinking good!!
Interesting concept about smoking eggs.

Have you ever hard-boiled them in an Instant Pot?

Hands down best way to boil an egg.

Set the pressure cooker for around eight minutes. When it reaches zero, carefully release the pressure and immediately plunge the eggs into ice water.

The shells just slide right off.

Reactions: Whoo
81 - 100 of 116 Posts