Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Whereabouts in Oregon are you?

I grew up in Arkansas, wife and I wanted to go west and picked Oregon (she wanted California, I said nope). Wanted to get the the coast but couldn't find a job there, but we did make it to the Rogue valley. Few year ago moved to the Southern Oregon coast. I love it out here!
Oregon is beautiful,I'm just tired of the politics. I am in the Willamette valley in Lebanon area. Do you ever miss Arkansas?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hello, my name is Kris. Will be 41 next month. Have been married to my wife almost 18 years! Two boys! Oldest is 17 second is 15. Live on 40 acres in Iowa and have another 100 down the road in Missouri. Work full time as a locomotive engineer for the railroad for 18 years. Raise cattle, goats, chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Also have a large garden. We finish 5 to 10 steers per year for ourselves and friends. Also butcher a few hundred broiler chickens and a handful of turkeys to keep and sell. Love my life and family as much as anyone ever could!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hello, my name is Kris. Will be 41 next month. Have been married to my wife almost 18 years! Two boys! Oldest is 17 second is 15. Live on 40 acres in Iowa and have another 100 down the road in Missouri. Work full time as a locomotive engineer for the railroad for 18 years. Raise cattle, goats, chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Also have a large garden. We finish 5 to 10 steers per year for ourselves and friends. Also butcher a few hundred broiler chickens and a handful of turkeys to keep and sell. Love my life and family as much as anyone ever could!
Love how much you love what you have! Nice to read stuff like that in this poop shoot of a world going on.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oregon is beautiful,I'm just tired of the politics. I am in the Willamette valley in Lebanon area. Do you ever miss Arkansas?
For sure. Lots of good memories there. Housing, land, and gas is way more affordable there. And people here don't know the difference between a grill and a bbq!

I went for a visit a few years ago an the town I grew up in has blown up beyond recognition.

I love it here in Oregon and have no plans to move back. If only we could give Salem the boot an form the State of Jefferson!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
For sure. Lots of good memories there. Housing, land, and gas is way more affordable there. And people here don't know the difference between a grill and a bbq!

I went for a visit a few years ago an the town I grew up in has blown up beyond recognition.

I love it here in Oregon and have no plans to move back. If only we could give Salem the boot an form the State of Jefferson!
Lol what do you mean people don't know the difference between a grill and a bbq?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lol what do you mean people don't know the difference between a grill and a bbq?
It's like their only knowledge of bbq came from Outback Steakhouse commercials ("throw a shrimp on the barbie!"). I'm sorry but grilling a burger or even steak isn't bbq. Don't believe the lies. I've been betrayed and my heart can't take anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haven't been on this site for a number of years. Went by another login, can't remember what it was exactly now. See a lot of members I recognize.
Did have at that time chickens, ducks (Muscovy mainly) and a few pigs for a couple of years. Feed prices and winter maintenance got to me so I ate them all and stopped.
Gardening now is my indoors and outdoors thing. Nothing huge just myself and my wife/accountant and master of all things.
Hoping to retire in a few years.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
It's like their only knowledge of bbq came from Outback Steakhouse commercials ("throw a shrimp on the barbie!"). I'm sorry but grilling a burger or even steak isn't bbq. Don't believe the lies. I've been betrayed and my heart can't take anymore.
You think that's bad? I had to explain to someone in great deal the other day what smoking meats meant. She thought it meant no joke that someone was blowing cigarette smoke onto meat🤣😂 I about died!! Smoking meat is one of my favorite ways to cook meat and I've recently started smoking cheeses too.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Haven't been on this site for a number of years. Went by another login, can't remember what it was exactly now. See a lot of members I recognize.
Did have at that time chickens, ducks (Muscovy mainly) and a few pigs for a couple of years. Feed prices and winter maintenance got to me so I ate them all and stopped.
Gardening now is my indoors and outdoors thing. Nothing huge just myself and my wife/accountant and master of all things.
Hoping to retire in a few years.
I understand the cost of feed getting in the way,it's ridiculous. I'm glad you found your way back to the group!

·
Registered
522 Posts
You think that's bad? I had to explain to someone in great deal the other day what smoking meats meant. She thought it meant no joke that someone was blowing cigarette smoke onto meat🤣😂 I about died!! Smoking meat is one of my favorite ways to cook meat and I've recently started smoking cheeses too.
haha should've told her that in Oregon meat is smoked with weed! There may be a business opportunity there...

I love smoked meat! That is bbq!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
haha should've told her that in Oregon meat is smoked with weed! There may be a business opportunity there...

I love smoked meat! That is bbq!
Now you have me curious if anyone has done that yet,lol. Do you like devilled eggs? If you do, you should try smoking your boiled eggs for 1 hour before cutting them open. So stinking good!!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I have to completely disagree with a previous post that people from Arkansas don’t know the difference between a grill and bbq….
The people of Arkansas are far from being ignorant and many are not only well educated but also world travelers 🧳 . I myself have lived from coast to coast and from South Texas to Alaska as have my sons. Not to mention we’ve each traveled to many countries in the Americas,Europe and Asia.
If “ smoking “ meat is the bar to be measured by then my family has been doing it (in Arkansas) for many generations ,some since before Arkansas even became a state.
One of my primary jobs as a youngster was helping my grandfather smoke meat. I can still smell that smokehouse!❤
Sure, they’re are some folks who may not know what the previous poster referred to but I can tell you for a fact that it’s not limited to the people of Arkansas. And there’s plenty of people elsewhere that wouldn’t have a clue about some common foods and terminology from this area.
Time to have my flapjacks and poke…😉
I believe he was saying Oregonians don't know the difference between bbq and grilling.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Oops 😬 , my bad! And my apologies!
Lol! The sad truth is from my experience a lot of people here do not know poop about outdoor cooking in general. I used to be one of those people sadly but the past 7 years I've learned a lot and now I pride myself in my bbq, grilling and smoking.

·
The Renegade...
4,010 Posts
Lol! The sad truth is from my experience a lot of people here do not know poop about outdoor cooking in general. I used to be one of those people sadly but the past 7 years I've learned a lot and now I pride myself in my bbq, grilling and smoking.
I could survive off of pinto beans, fried potatoes and cornbread and be just fine ,“but” I love exploring other countries and their cultures, especially the food!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I could survive off of pinto beans, fried potatoes and cornbread and be just fine ,“but” I love exploring other countries and their cultures, especially the food!
A true southern boy lol. I love trying different food too from around the world. My love of food has changed now though being as I only eat 4 bites and I am full.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts