intro newbie wannabe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Solange, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Solange

Solange Member

Hi all,
    This is my first time posting. I feel a bit of a cheat ...I'm only a wannabe homesteader. I have no land or experience. My mom's family were farmers (in France) but otherwise I have had very little exposure to farming/country living growing up in Houston, Texas. Now I find myself living in Zurich Switzerland and dreaming of a homestead. I am so happy to have found this forum. I love reading the posts ...very informative and just plain great to hear people's thoughts and opinions. :bow:
    Solange
    wife to Bernhard
    mom to frida
    desperately wanting to get my hands dirty

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

What is around you? Do you have a yard? Otherwise, go into the country and visit small farms and "offer" to help out.

3. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Welcome! you have to start somewhere!! :clap:
    You can always go dig in the dirt,,, somewhere.... even if it is a bucket of dirt! Have fun and beware,,, you can loose lots of time here reading stuff! lol!!

4. Solange

Solange Member

Unfortuantely we live in an apartment near the city. There are many farms here but I don't speak German very well and finding info is a bit hard ...but I am looking. I have a balcony and grow herbs though. Otherwise I think they have small gardens to rent but again my German is always holding me back.

You are right valent ..there is always something that can be done!
    Solange

5. Solange

Solange Member

So true so true ...but well I can help it ...it is entertaining and it helps a bit with my homesickness.
    Solange

6. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi! Lots of us wannabees here! In addition to your herbs, you can grow a lot of different vegetables in pots on your balcony - tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, bush beans, even cukes with a teepee for support.

7. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

hi fellow wanna-be! :) right now I'm living on a tiny 1/4 acre lot in a subdivision. We can grow our veggies and herbs but that's about it. I started posting on this site a while back because one day (hopefully soon) we will be moving and I want to find out as much as I can about homesteading. Plus, folks on here are really nice. If you have a balcony, you can grow pots of herbs and even a pepper plant or tomato plant and that's a really good start.