Intro~from MN

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MNSuz, Feb 21, 2004.

1. MNSuz

MNSuz New Member

Hi, new here. I live in NW MN, out in country on 11a. with my DH and DD's. We have a few critters. We garden. My DH has a fulltime job that keeps him away from home alot. He is not so much for homesteading, so if it is to be done around here it is me. But we love the country life! And he will help when he can. I just cann't plan big and all out homesteading............Anyone know anything about Chicory~cultivation, drying, drinking? I know it is a weed you can find by the road. But do people grow it as a crop? How do you dry the root for drinking? Or do you just buy it? I posted this over on "General Chat" too. Hope someone can help me. Since I am new here, I did not know were to post this. In food, gardening, here? Thanks Suz

2. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Hi Suz
    Welcome to HT.

You asked about chicory--well if it is the same kind we have, it grows wild here and is sort of invasive but it is a really pretty almost true blue flower. I really don't know much about them but they do grow in the sun and in mostly clay soil here in WV.

You might want to post over on the gardening section, I would think you would find the most help there. I doubt you would find many on the cooking site that grow it. But then again, you never know.
    You might want to also check out the www.gardenweb.com site too to find out information. And go to google and/or yahoo search and type in chicory. But be sure to come back and see us too. ;) Don't they use it for a substitute for coffee or in combination with coffee? Seems like I read that somewhere.

I hope you can get the information you are looking for. Sorry I am not much help to you.
    I mostly wanted to say Welcome. Everyone here is very helpful and I am sure you can be a big help to alot of us too. :)

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Hey Suz, is your husband's name Steve?

4. MNSuz

MNSuz New Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Well, thank you for the Welcome! I have done the google/yahoo search. I was just wondering if anyone grew it on farms. Ya, it is used with coffe, but someone has to grow it for them. It is the root that is dryed for the drink. Thanks for the web I will try that one. Thanks for the welcome! And yes I will be back! Thanks, Suz

5. MNSuz

MNSuz New Member

No, mine is Stan. Is yours Steve?

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I can't help you with the chickory, but welcome to the forum! Hope you like it here! :)