International 240 Tractor...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by oz in SC, Aug 9, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Found an ad for a International 240(?) Tractorwith bush hog, disc harrow bottom plow 2 row planter/cultivator and hopper and log splitter.They are asking $3250 for it.
    Unfortunately it is a gas engine and I really wanted a diesel BUT if it is a good deal I might buy it and use it till something else comes along...

So what do y'all think and if a good deal what should I look for?

Thanks oz.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is the condition of the tractor?
    Does the engine smoke?
    Is there grit in the oil?
    Is the steering sloppy?
    Are the tires dry rotted?
    Is there a maintiance record?
    Are the implements what you need for your plans?

If everything is in excellent condition, this is a steal; if everything is very worn and in need of repair or parts replacement, this is a burden.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The 240 is a pretty light tractor and don't have the 3 point hitch that fits so many mounted tools, but they were pretty solid and would handle most things you might find for it to do. If you have slopes that are a little steep, a tractor with a narrow front end can be quite dangerous as they can upset easier than a low slung tractor with wide front axel. (Utility tractor is what this type is called)
    If you ever have one with a loader bucket, you will never even consider getting one without a loader.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It can be very hard to get parts for older equipment like the discs or planter, (and I'll admit I'm bit confused what is being offered, whats a "2 row planter/cultivator and hopper "? I'm assuming its a 2 bottom plow (again can be hard to get parts for or even work on) but it gets fuzzy after that. Like Moopups said, in good shape its' (the tractor) not a bad price. Just keep the value of equipment low as it is difficult to determine without checking out the parts supply.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross.....2 row planter/cultivator and hopper

Cole was still a manufacturer in the 50's in Charlotte NC and they make a lot of this type stuff for tractors after horse drawn implements died off. They had a 2 row cultivator that would convert to a planter. The hoppers were simple seed holding compartments that mounted on the cultivator frame along with the planters which were essentially modified horse drawn affairs. You may has seen an old Dearborn planter that Henry sold with his red belly tractors, about the same thing.

6. Those types of things seem more common in the SE part of the USA - from what I can gather on the 'net. Up here in the north and beyond it's a whole different terminology & way of working with the ground & seed. We would never combine a cultivator & a planter up here. Thanks for explaining.

--->Paul

7. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Well I got this response:

The tires are fine... I guess the tractor is from the 50's it has a pto and no it is a quick hitch---2 pt hitch that is why all the implements come with it.. runs fine I have the bush hog hooked up now.

So being a gas engine is a minus and I would imagine the two point hitch is as well...

Or not?????

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't have one but that planter sounds like the grand pa of modern air cart planters, sorta or a mintill planter. Oz what do you want the tractor for? Certainly anything but a 3 point hitch is a minus, but perhaps the 2 point can be modified?

9. agmantoo

Oz,
    I want you to have the tractor that you want and I am not trying to be pushy. Just remember that I have a 3 point hitch 340 IH, gas burner, with nearly new rear rubber that is setting here in a shed that is in good condition other than a dead battery. It was used as a standby to power the PTO generator at the chicken house for the last 7 or 8 years . We bought a new diesel tractor to operate the generator and no longer have any need for the gas burner. For $2600 it is yours.

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The 340 I am pretty sure can be easily converted to 3pt. This is not always 100% perfect, but works quite well. i am not familiar with the 2x0 series of IHC, they are very rate up north here.

The 2x0 tractor mentioned might be fine, if you _need_ those implements. If you don't use one or 2, then it becomes a waste to you, buying stuff you don't need. Planter condition would be critical, you only get 40-50 chances to plant seed in your lifetime as a farmer, you got to get the seeds planted right or you never will have a crop to tend to.

Just farmer attitude I guess. :)

--->Paul

11. agmantoo

Rambler, the 340 is already a 3 point hitch!

12. D'oh, I see you mentioned that.

Is it a converted 2pt, or is it a total 3pt from the factory?

I have an IHC 300, nice machine. They sell for about $2000-2500 in great shape with all the options. I'm not so familiar with a x4x machine...

--->Paul