internal vs external abscesses

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moonspinner, Nov 10, 2006.

1. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

With all the CL talk of late I was wondering: can internal abscesses develop w/out any external ones? Does anyone know the percentage of internal vs external CL abscesses? I'm assuming external are far more common, though in many cases, how would you know w/out a necropsy? Would external abscesses show up before the internal ones or not necessarily?

2. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

I read in an article that the external abscesses are more common in goats and the internal abscesses are more common in sheep, it also said that they can have internal abscesses without ever having them externally. :shrug: I believe the article I read that stated that was linked somewhere on this board.... ya might check in the CL/CAE sticky thread.

3. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

When I had my girls tested, the vet said that a count of over 250?(or somewhere around there) on the test, indicated a high probability of internal abcesses. SO....a high count may mean there is more of a chance, but who wants to take the chance AT ALL?

4. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

With the goats I've exterminated... The external abcesses developed long AFTER the internal ones. Upon dissecting the animal I found TONS of internals? Just ONE external (on the last one doe I killed - Belle...)

[​IMG]

The internal ones were EVERYWHERE around the organs. They are the grey spherical things - the one I have my finger under...

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photo!

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

My experience has been just the oposite, having never found an internal abcess at all. I've heard there are particularly virulent strains of CL...wonder if that could be the difference?

7. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Could be. This particular doe was of ?? origin and developed the jaw abcess within one week. No. I'm not kidding. She was cleared for 4-H show by the University vets and my son began shaving her to get ready for the Fair. That's when my son found the abcess... It hadn't ripened yet? But upon manipulation, burst. We bleached and burnt all the exude, poured bleach everywhere on EVERYTHING and quarantined her immediately. She was one of my Kinder milk does. I shot her the next day and butchered her out. She was a pretty thing with appaloosa spots on her legs. I did get a doeling from her... Everyone else seems healthy. I'm watching closely... Broke my heart, but what else can you do? There is a way you can take the exudate and have a vaccine made from it? But I couldn't afford it... and she wasn't registered...