Interesting problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by GentleBen, Oct 8, 2004.

1. GentleBen

GentleBen Member

Back in May I purchased a small ranchette in East Tx. Its a really nice place with a small hill on either side of the property. After purchasing the place we found out that the people who owned the place had a little fued going on the their neighbors. The neighbors on the other side of us is also kin to the people who owned the house as well as the people who owned the house the people who owned the house(three families all related living together are involved in the fued). Now to make it really interesting the people who owned the house left us a little present for us and one of his relatives. We didn't find out about it til about a month ago. Question is should I take the previous owner to court and chance a confrontation? or be prepared to take on the remaining families. I am a little biffed at our neighbors and their attitudes. I am bumfuzzled. Any clues?

2. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

You are not the former owner. Go meet your neighbors, stick out hour hand and be yourself. They will have to learn to dislike you on your own merits if you get right in their faces.
    So what was the present?

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I agree with Desdawg, in that it is much easier to build a bridge than to live through a feud.
    My suggestion? Whenever anybody says "And the guy who owned your place did this or that..." just shake your head in amazement and make non-committal statements like "Oh my!" and "Wow." People appreciate being listened to. You sound like you have a lovely place, and I hope it all settles down.

But if life looks like it is going to be unbearable, the previous owners do bear responsibility to "disclose" any lasting defect.
    Around here, you have to disclose a neighbor whose kid practises the drums, or even a mentally ill neighbor (which I think is way over the line, but it held up in court)

4. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

every since we have purchased our property, we have heard about how strange the previous owner was...

and pretty much all we do is shake our heads in disbelief and say wow... and then go on to talk about what we plan on doing...

we are east texas also.. but farther south than you...
    and you will find in a lot of towns that there are little feuds every where...

we just smile and introduce ourselves and keep it light.

Lynn in Texas

5. GentleBen

GentleBen Member

I met the neighbors, the first thing they wanted was the use of our pasture then they wanted us to feed their cattle and horses. Oh, the present they left for us was a payback to their relatives next door to us. They extended a septic line on top of the ground that drained into their pool 400' from the house. I found it by accident when putting in a new fence.

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Do you mean YOUR pool or Their pool as in a neighbors?

7. GentleBen

GentleBen Member

The line flows down to the end of one our sections then it empties out into our neighbors pool. I tossed in a stick to see what color the water was when it washed up, it was black.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably wise to find out where water comes from & where it goes before buying property these days, it's a pretty big issue & pretty regulated. Water over the dam now I know, but a learning experience.

The septic likely will need to be fixed - as in, a whole new one put in. I'm not sure I'd want to live dumping my raw septic on some one else's property.....

We are not lawyers, so our advise on whether to do it yourself or sue the former owner/ real estate people depends on your local laws & who said what about what. Most states have disclosure laws, but you don't seem to want to mention too much about this, so it's hard to offer even casual advise. You need real local legal advise in any case....

As to the feuding - I don't think there is a neighborhood without one. :) Try to keep yourself out of the old arguments as others say - you have plenty of time to start your own new ones. :)

Good luck. Sounds like a nice place, with a few little bugs to work out.

--->Paul