Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
I still say the Evangelical churches could learn a lot from the Mormon church.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just as an FYI - it says they encourage their members to be prepared--the website the article mentions is www.providentliving.org
On the website it mentions 'home storage centers' where members can go to help can dry goods and buy them at a pretty good price. I know that in my area we have a chance to go to the 'cannery' about once a month.
We have been told that those that aren't members of the mormon church are welcome--if they come with a member... so get to know your neighbors and if any are mormon--see if you can go with them to the cannery--you can see the kinds of things that are available on the website.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I am a Mormon, and while I have a years' supply of basics (wheat, beans, rice, flour, sugar, shortening/oil, salt, etc) and several weeks' supply of "normal" foods, a lot of members haven't gotten around to doing this. We are constantly advised to get out of debt (I am working on that), save up 3-6 months' worth of expenses (working on that too, which will be easier when we're out of debt), but not every Mormon has done that. So just because you know someone who is Mormon, don't expect that they're going to have a pantry overflowing with food to share with the neighborhood. :) But you get that in every religion, not everyone does what they know they should...

My DH and I have always made an effort to keep our pantry stocked with food. My ex-stepmom is one of those people who never has more than 2 days' worth of food in her cupboards, I don't know how she can stand to live like that. I get a nice comforting feeling to look in my pantry and see row after row of canned goods. :)

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
You and me both Whinnyninny! Oh and Miss B just loved loved loved her Christmas present! I'll upload the video later if I can get it to turn. Otherwise everyone will have to watch it sideways! LOL.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm not a Mormon, or religious at all in fact, but I do think it's good common sense to get and stay out of debt, and to have liquid cash savings, and to have a nice stocked pantry. I have a list of my own preferred staple foods, and how much I want of each item. It's darn comforting to know that I can eat out of the pantry for a while, and have a variety of food to eat. One item I don't stock is dried milk. I just hate it, and won't use it. Since I stock according to what my husband and I will eat, and rotate the foods, I don't stock dried milk. However, I'd certainly change my mind about it if I thought that I'd actually use it during a bad period.

G

·
I don't stock dried milk. However, I'd certainly change my mind about it if I thought that I'd actually use it during a bad period.
I keep non-instant dry milk (Bob's Red Mill) for cooking with. And I keep some Nido on hand for those times I run out of fresh milk. Nido tastes like fresh milk.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I'm not LDS/Mormon but I believe a lot like they do as far as preparations, helping others and getting out of debt. My very dear friend is LDS and she's taught me a lot; I'm very grateful.

We've been able to help out our neighbors with food, candles, lanterns, firewood, and many other things during ice storms, power outages, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nor am I an LDS, but we do have some LDS customers at our store and they have given me some very good advice about staples to put away for hard times. My wife and I bought a 25 lb. box of Organic Valley dried milk for storage and daily usage. Neither of us drink milk on a given day, so we need some for cooking/baking. We like the taste of the Organic Valley product and if you want extra thick milk, just add another tablespoon of powder.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nor am I an LDS, but we do have some LDS customers at our store and they have given me some very good advice about staples to put away for hard times. My wife and I bought a 25 lb. box of Organic Valley dried milk for storage and daily usage. Neither of us drink milk on a given day, so we need some for cooking/baking. We like the taste of the Organic Valley product and if you want extra thick milk, just add another tablespoon of powder.
Not to hijack thread, but how much does that Organic Valley cost? I usually pay about $11.00 for a 4 pound box of instant nonfat dried milk that makes the equivalent of 5 gallons. We are starting to build back up our pantry but have to be careful as we don't have a lot of storage space ...

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
My wife and I bought a 25 lb. box of Organic Valley dried milk for storage and daily usage. Neither of us drink milk on a given day, so we need some for cooking/baking. We like the taste of the Organic Valley product and if you want extra thick milk, just add another tablespoon of powder.

Will you share where you bought this? I'm part of a local UNFI organic co-op and they don't see Organic Valley dry milk in 25# quantities. I'd love to get some! Thanks. :)

·
Banned
8,092 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I don't drink dry milk but I do keep it to cook with. I try not to "waste" the fresh milk for cooking unless it is in something where I'm sure to taste it.

About the only ay I can drink powdered milk is to mix it with nestle quik or with chocolate syrup. It's not bad that way. Not particularly great but not bad either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts