Interesting Credit Card Call

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cheryl in SD, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I just got a call from, and I quote, "your credit card company." The pleasant sounding gal said, "This is a courtsey call from your credit card company. If you would give me the account numbers of all your credit cards and your bank account information, we can combine your balances and lower your interest rate." I just laughed while hanging up on her. I am not THAT dumb!

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

You would be supprised, (sadly) at the people who might fall for that. Usually they pray on elderly people. Some of the older people might think that was a ligit call and give them the information.

Do you have caller ID? Maybe you could get their # and give it to the police.

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I tried to get a number. Dh called just seconds later so dailing caller id didn't work, and they didn't show up on my caller id either. I did call the Sherriff's department and they are going to record it. I may get a phone call from the deputy if he needs more information.

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

We get so many unknown callers and no data calls, we don't answer just let the machine pick up. We are on the do not call list, but some how the calls get through.

5. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Yes...sadly my parents got a (spoof) email from paypal asking them to confirm a purchase by 'logging into' their account. Of course my parents didn't make the purchase in question, but still tried logging into their account via the link the spoof email provided. Thank goodness the link didn't work...the would have imput their paypal account information to goodness knows who. :bash:

6. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Sadly, those kinds of phone calls and spoof email happens constantly.

We get the ones that say we have a rebate from somethng and they need a bank account number.

Then, of course, my son won the UK lottery, I won the South African lottery, and the World Cup lottery - and all they need is my bank account number.

The first 'lottery' number we got we took to the bank. They were totally unconcerned. We suggested trying to set up a 'sting' operation and they told us we probably couldn't get any law enforcement interested.

I do shudder to think of the number of old people that are scammed this way.

7. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Hey...I won those too!! :rolleyes:

This is one reason we got rid of our landline phone. Too many of those "spoof" and telemarketers became annoying. Now we just stick with prepaid wireless. So nice to not to hear the phone keep ringing all the time.

8. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I've always thought it would be fun to say - oh that sounds so good - please stay on the line while I get the Sheriff on for a conference call - so he can advise me if this will work.