Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
<iframe width="715" height="402" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I used to work with Charles Durnings brother

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
The old governor here Roy Cooper says everyone not living in the same house has to wear masks when around each other! I bet I've used the same one 90 percent since March. Shared some in the work trucks too...

·
Registered
21,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The old governor here Roy Cooper says everyone not living in the same house has to wear masks when around each other! I bet I've used the same one 90 percent since March. Shared some in the work trucks too...

I've use one they handed me going into Walmart I think in April. Keep it wadded up in a top pocket of my bib overalls for when I go to Indiana. Restaurants there require a mask to enter but once inside you are on your own. Apparently doors are notorious for spreading the virus. I have a box of N95's in my truck. I've used those for years when working in crawl spaces where it is dusty and sometimes fallen insulation is a problem but I save them for when I really need them.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
If you like anecdotal evidence, our paper just had an article from a doc located in the next county. He IS seeing excess deaths related to covid19. When people with comorbidities that were well managed before covid19 die, they die from covid19.

But he states he has had healthy folks no comorbidities at all die quickly from it, and folks in their 90's with comorbidities wind up in the hospital icu and then have a speedy recovery.

As to the numbers from those others forms of death being down? Some say they are, other researchers are not finding that, but both sides are finding an inordinate amount of "died at home of natural causes." Meaning we know for sure they were not shot, beat to death, electrocuted, etc but no tests were run to see if they just had a normal heart attack or had covid19.

What I can read the same thing happened in 1918. We are not likely to ever know the real numbers either way, but it is tragic that rather than actually studying the science so many become science denying foam at the mouth types around here.

One guy in our area thinks it is all a hoax from Satan to, I kid you not, "Force men to cover up the manly beard thus spiritually and emotionally castrating them."

Really???? All this is happening in the world and your only concern is people cannot see your gorgeous beard? But it makes sense sort of--in his religious system there is no such thing as disease, only experiencing of symptoms among those that lack faith. He thinks viruses can't be seen even with electron microscopes, that someone has painted littly squiggly dots on the eyepieces to hoax folks, and that if all this science stuff is accepted you cannot believe in God.

Oh please. Some of the mostly Godly, most Christian people I have known were scientists who also accepted standard science. I think that guy is nut job!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts

Well his head would have exploded if he'd seen our Thanksgiving get together! Family had
over thirty people at my Mom's place, pretty much a normal Thanksgiving. Of course I got to see the pictures, since I had to work. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many people has COVID killed? According to this, very few. When this was studied going clear back to Feb. of this year before COVID came to the US, the total death rate has basically stayed flat from week to week according the the CDC numbers. Yes, COVID deaths are now here as a cause of death but interestingly, the deaths from the top causes of deaths reported, heart disease, cancer, and every other category are way down from normal. In fact they are down in about the same numbers as we have reported in the COVID death category.

A closer look at U.S. deaths due to COVID-19 - The Johns Hopkins News-Letter (archive.org)
As a hospice Nurse, I have not had a single patient With pneumonia or influenza since the start of Covid-19 . Hmmm. Curious.

·
Registered
21,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I know around here if you go to the ER with any number of symptoms, you are 'presumed COVID'. Even after they get the test results back, if it is negative you are still 'presumed COVID' because they say the tests are often wrong and COVID symptoms are good enough for diagnosis. And COVID symptoms run the gamut from headaches to sore feet.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I know around here if you go to the ER with any number of symptoms, you are 'presumed COVID'. Even after they get the test results back, if it is negative you are still 'presumed COVID' because they say the tests are often wrong and COVID symptoms are good enough for diagnosis. And COVID symptoms run the gamut from headaches to sore feet.
If the tests are so often wrong why do we bother using them? And why weren't the Chinese tests "good enough" for us to use in the beginning? Why did we have to wait so long for testing to become available? It was supposedly due to accuracy.....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If the tests are so often wrong why do we bother using them? And why weren't the Chinese tests "good enough" for us to use in the beginning? Why did we have to wait so long for testing to become available? It was supposedly due to accuracy.....
No test is perfect-- Sources of problems include ability of the test to find what you're looking for, calibration of the gizmo used, imperfect reading by the observer and just plain mistakes ...

The original Chinese test was only about 65% accurate-- hardly worth doing except to satisfy curiosity. You could not start nor avoid potentially dangerous treatments based on the test result-- You had to go by Clinical Diagnosis, ie-- signs & symptoms the pt presented with and likelihood that it was or wasn't the bug in question.

The new rapid test is better than 95% accurate. It still misses about 1 in 20 cases, and says 1 in 20 has it when they don't.....And even those numbers are compared to some "gold standard" (often too expensive, dangerous or inconvenient to do on everybody)--If we didn't have the gold standard, how do we know we missed 1 in 20?

·
Registered
11,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,788 Posts
I just wonder if they base the false negatives on symptoms and a negative flu test. Not the flu but you have one minor covid symptom? You must have covid but you are not a good enough virus producer for the test to read positive.

I just read that here (my county) we are supposed to wear a mask when not inside our house. Not doing that! No way, no how! Usually I am the only person outdoors for a good 150 yards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When all this covid stuff started I wondered if flu death numbers would change by the end of the year and sure enough flu deaths are at a record low. So appears to me anyway that they have been mixing in the flu with covid deaths.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When all this covid stuff started I wondered if flu death numbers would change by the end of the year and sure enough flu deaths are at a record low. So appears to me anyway that they have been mixing in the flu with covid deaths.
From personal experience: flu shots have not been shown to lower death rate from flu in any group except the elderly (75+)...Now, it's the elderly who routinely die, usually from some sort of pneumonitis-- When they get so old & frail that they cant defend themselves from their own secretions, they inhale them and get a fatal lung infection.

If the pt had had a flu shot, the attending physician is unlikely to list the death as "flu" but just "pneumonitis."...If the guy didn't have the shot, then the doc may list it as flu, even without a confirmatory lab test (rarely done except in a hospitalized pt)...The vast majority of death certificates listing flu have not been confirmed by lab tests, but are just presumptive diagnoses.

Right now, CoV is all the rage, so a death from a respiratory illness in an out-pt setting is more likely to be listed as CoV than influenza. --Not to mention, it ain't flu season yet.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts