Intensive grazing

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by milkstoolcowboy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

I remembered reading about a farm in Ohio where the guy switched from a large-scale operation to small-scale and intensive grazing. I searched around and found him, F.W. Owen.

It's interesting to read about his grazing system and how he does this in northern Ohio. He's pretty honest about how he made a few missteps and what he's learned. I don't think it would work here because of our shorter growing season and winter temperatures, but it's pretty interesting.

He isn't organic, and he isn't all-forage. He talks about the difficulty of selling breeding stock out of these types of operations when the market wants top production.

Here's the link: http://www.bright.net/~fwo/sub02.html

(See, I said something good about dairying on pasture.)

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

It is a very informative site. I had it marked with a ton of other grazing sites.Where would we be without the internet? I would love to turn the herd out to rotational graze but first I would have to convince the older generation that it is worth it, ugh. This is hard to do in prime corn and bean ground. Here is link for a Minnesota grazer, I suppose it can work where ever the grass will grow to some effect.

www.newfarm.org/features/0803/pasture_cow_print.shtml

3. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

in upstate ny, north of syracuse, all the way to the st lawrence river, intensive grazing has been used successfully for quite a few years, increases profits, herd health, many operations are set up to take advantage with our short growing season. cornell cooperative extension should have info on this, i live across the road from the st lawrence river and canada is on the other side, should the time come to be able to fill my pastures, i will probably use this type of set up. i use a modified version, but with only 12 head of holsteins and jerseys, i do not need all of my pasture. hope this helps anyone interested.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Hi there we are neighbors , I am 5-10 mins from FT DRum. I think with us it all depends on the year. With our clay soil its a pain. Some years we and the animals can get out early others very late. Some years we can get 2-3 cuts of hay some only 1. Welcome to the North country ,gotta love it or leave it.

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if we are considered intensive grazing or not...We feed grain in the milking barn, but we do pasture our dairy herd. One of the reasons we have higher counts. They do a lot of wandering and we live in a fairly hilly area. Actually, the past couple of years, with all the rain we have had, keeping temporary fencing up has been impossible and gettting hay up even harder, so the herd has pretty much had free range on about 80 acres. Does make bringing them in for milking at 2 in the morning time consuming. :rolleyes: :haha:

I'm gonna have to read that when I get a chance.