Insurance

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caleob K., Dec 15, 2004.

1. Caleob K.

Caleob K. Member

My wife, the baby, and myself recently moved to the country and are building our dream house there.

A fun time is being had by all, but today the (health) insurance company called saying our yearly premium has been raised $600 because we moved into a rural zipcode! How about that!

To me - living in the city seems much more dangerous. I could be shot, run down while crossing the street, or slowly choked by exhaust. What is it they expect to happen to me - coyote bite? :haha:

Anyone know why this is? And are there any creative ways to tell the insurance company to get lost (that can be repeated on a family website)?

2. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Is this the only insurance company you can deal with? Ask for an explanation, in writing. Maybe you could switch offices, in your new county or district and get a better rate? Our insurance didnt change, except for the normal reasons, adding on, extra family member, etc. But never b/c we moved out of the city. Go back and ask more questions.

3. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

That sounds a lot like redlining. It is a big no no in the insuarance industry. I would appeal to a higher up and if there is no help there I would consult a lawyer, if neccessary. You better start shopping for alternate coverage.

4. momof6

momof6 Member

I wouldn't know why health insurance is more expensive, but Auto Insurance probably would be because "they" figure you have more driving to do to get to the city to work. Also, I KNOW that homeowners insurance is more expensive. We have 14 acres in the country with a log home and was told by our insurance agent that because we live in the country and have a volunteer fire department that's why our insurance is so high. She said if we lived in the city limits our homeownsers insurance would be $400 cheaper a year. Also, having fireplaces/woodstoves makes homeowners insurance higher.

5. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

hmmm, maybe they are thinking because you are further from ambulance and hospitals it would be more "dangerous", since a longer time would lapse until you could get help? That's the only thing I can figure.

Carla

6. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Such things are just part and parcel of the insurance = slavery principle.
    Insurance and its enabler liability eventually control every decision you make:

Where you live, what job you take, what car you drive, what animals you keep, how you heat your home, what type of house you build or live in, what type of medical care you can or cannot receive, where you go and who you see for medical care, what you sell, what equimpment or materials you can use of have access to, the list goes on.....

7. Caleob K.

Caleob K. Member

My auto insurance actually went down when we moved (my milage to work remained about the same but no more city driving)

We are changing insurance coverage. Its easy enough for us to put DW (am I using that abbreviation right?) on my work plan. We're young and healthy and its even the right time of year to make changes.I feel sorry for people who don't have all the options we do, however.

Thats a good idea. Abulance would certainly be more expensive if we needed it (God forbid!) but that alone shouldn't cost $600 more a year.