insurance question_car totaled

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by paulaswolfpack, Jan 7, 2007.

1. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

my 1995 sunfire was wrecked,the insurance adjuster said she went to a company called CCC for the value of the car in which it shows that the value is $1,790.00, about $1,000.00 less than what the kelley blue book says that it worth. now 3 months ago when I bought the car I paid $1,200.00 for it but since then I have put $1238.00 into it with a transmission,alternator,fuel injector, new tires. all with less than 300 miles on it after I got it out of the shop, then 4 deer and anthor car took me out. I have got almost $2,500 in the car and they only want to give me $1,300. how much more do you think I could get out of them? I am sending them copies of the work I just had done. :shrug:

2. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

If you have the GT you could probally hold out for a few hundred more. If it is the SE you probally got the best offer

3. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

They'll almost always lowball and try to bluff you so never accept their first offer. We just had a 99 Grand Voyager written off, they offered us $3500 the first time, $4500 the second time and we settled at $5200. Hard to tell how much you'll get but let them sweat a bit.

4. Oldguy

Oldguy Well-Known Member

Depending on if you wrecked it or if someone else hit you gives you a couple different ways to go.
    1. IF YOU wrecked it, Take the offer but require them to give you the car. IF they don't want to give you the car split the difference.

2. IF someone else hit you, tell the insurance company that you had a good running car before their customer hit you and the law requires them to restore or make good your loss to the point of which you were at when you got hit. That means, they can produce another car of equal value, equal mechanical shape or pay you the money it will take to get such car. They try to lowball you but if you hold out, they generally up the money. Most likely they will come up another 1000 bucks. Personally i tell them to replace the car with another vehicle. They hate that when you force that on them.

5. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

CCC Information Systems supplies software, communications systems, database access etc. to the automotive claims and collision repair industries. The adjustor would have used CCC's Valuescope software (http://www.cccis.com/ContentAction.do?path=contentPurple&topicId=85) to determine the local total loss value-- that probably explains the disparity between the KBB value and the figure you were quoted. THe Valuescope software will base the estimate on the price/value of Pontiac Sunfires in your area (you paid $1200). Most likely, the KBB price of $2700 would be for a vehicle in excellent condition with less than 93,000 miles, no rust, excellent mechanical condition etc.. If there was high mileage, rust, previous bodywork or any other depreciative history it would decrease the vehicles 'book' value. Honestly, I think the only thing sending them the repair slip will do is prove it was not in excellent condition when totaled.