Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok its been a week today since the girls wrecked and we still don't have a police report. I remember when you used to get that right then or at least in a day or two. They have no idea when it will be available. and the insurance companies.....oh man! I will be looking at changing once this is over. First off our insurance told us that we needed to handle calling the other company and all. I did cause I just wasn't thinking. Then our compnay called us back and said that the other company is trying to file against us. HELLO!!! The last time I checked if you were going straight thru an intersection and someone was turning left across your path and you have the greenlight they HAVE to wait. DD was going straight and had a green light. I have no idea what this woman told her company that makes them think this was dd's fault. So now I'm dealing with adjusters and investigators. Of course dh is out of town this week on his last job for this company. Oh and to top it off our health insurance was cancelled early and the ONLY way we knew was the cancellation letter that came from BC in the mail. I know that I put a good 10 miles on the treadmill yesterday out of frustration not to mention the rut I made in the floor pacing while on the phone. On the good side though dd survived having all 4 wisdom teeth out this morning. she's conked out on pain meds but will not keep the ice on her face.......she actually thinks that she is going to the beach this weekend with some friends! Oh to be young and not realize some things! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
Calm down, deep breath, ok. Who was cited at the scene, or were the cops even there? If no report was taken at the scene it takes forever to get a report. As soon as it is available you'll get about a dozen copies in the mail along with attorney solicitations. Is dd under 18? If so, then you should be able to speak with someone at the pd and find out what the hold up is regarding the report. Ask to speak to someone in records. They can help you more than the officers.

·
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if anyone was cited at the scene......dd was not. She's 18 but the car is in my name. I have talked to records...they're no help they just tell me they have the same system as what I can access online. I even called the DMV in Raleigh to see if they could get it and was told not yet. The officer who was called to the scene is NOT returning calls either. Getting a copy of this to my insurance company would settle this if the other driver was cited. I did finally talk to a person today and they said it could be 10 days before the report is available. If it takes 10 days then so be it but DON'T put on the slip you hand out that is will be available in 72 hours at the most. course I shouldn't be surprised that it was wrong.....they gave the wrong web address to get the report also. I just think its ridiculous for it to take so long.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
(((HUGS))) Ginnie, hon, I'm so sorry. When it rains, it definitely pours. Will be praying for your whole family even more. Hang in there

Brandon

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Ginnie please be patient. There is so many hands in the stew pot right now, things are bound to get a little confusing.

The police report usually takes awhile. If they are still investigating it could take a couple of weeks. Most pd today are understaffed, and usually have certain officers who do traffic. In which they respond to traffic accidents, investigate and that.
You might want to try to find out if the other party was cited. Also some pd charge you a small fee for the report to pay for costs.
I know some years back our car was hit by a hit and run driver, and fortunatly the police were able to find who did it. It happened when our car was parked behind the police station. The officer who took the report told us that the other parties ins. would have to pay the $5 for the report.
I also had called the other parties ins. and they gave me flack and said they had to do thier own investigation to see who was at fault. I told them my car was parked legally and thier client was cited.
In all it took a couple of weeks before we saw a check because of the ins. companies and adjusters.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I feel for you. there cops they have there own agenda, and work on there own rules. try pulling over a few min after a cop tells you to stop the car . see what a few min will do. they take weeks to give you a simple paper.The cops will just lie on the report because thats all they know. Then it goes to the insurance company where they will twist the lies in to there own lies can you tell i dont like cops or ins co's or lawyers and car sales men or sorry just a sore spot :1pig:

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
Um, what do you mean the health insurance was cancelled early? Is the reason for non-payment and your grace period has expired? Hate to add another battle to your plate but you should have received notice PRIOR to the insurance being officially cancelled.
The other company is going after you because of your young driver. Instruct every one in your house to NOT discuss the accident on the phone or to others. Please check your policy and find your state's insurance dept. so you have their toll free number handy (they should have a consumer division). A ticket should have been issued at the time of the accident (this does not sound like an accident that needs days and days of investigation, pretty straight forward). Get your insurance on the phone and on the stick, this why he/she earns commission. Ugh, I empathize with you. Body shops in my area deal with the insurance company and you should be able to take the car to whatever place you chose to be fixed. Beware of some aftermarket parts. AND given the airbags deployed, they may total the beast. You might want to consider your options if that happens (buy the car back and fix it etc.).

·
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Selena said:
Um, what do you mean the health insurance was cancelled early? Is the reason for non-payment and your grace period has expired? Hate to add another battle to your plate but you should have received notice PRIOR to the insurance being officially cancelled.
Dh lost his job and the insurance was supposed to continue thru his severance pay period but the "person" in charge of the office decided it was unnecessary apparently.

We're already looking at all our options on the car and will most likely buy it back and get a friend of ours who has his own shop to fix it. He's already looked at it and says it is fixable even though the ins will probably total it because of the air bags. And trust me I have been all over the insurance company for what I feel is their poor handling of this. we've been with them a long time and all our ins is with them and they know they stand to loose our business.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
It is quite common for it to take 2 weeks for an accident report to be issued. It was a holiday so I imagine the police are up to their noses in paperwork. It is also quite common for an investigator and adjuster to be involved from both insurance companies. I had a drunken ding dong hit my minivan that was parked on the street. Guess what.. an investigator was hired by her insurance company. It took 3 months to get everything settled but her insurance company provided me a rental car the entire time so I really didn't care.

PS If the wholesale blue book value of the car and the proposed insurance payout aren't close do not be afraid to hire the adjustor that your insurance company sends out to be your advocate in the worth of your vehicle. I ended up hiring mine for $50 and he fought to get a higher value for my van because he knew the tricks of the trade. He took care of all the phone calls and everything. In the end I got $1000 more so he was worth it.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
ginnie5 said:
Dh lost his job and the insurance was supposed to continue thru his severance pay period but the "person" in charge of the office decided it was unnecessary apparently.

We're already looking at all our options on the car and will most likely buy it back and get a friend of ours who has his own shop to fix it. He's already looked at it and says it is fixable even though the ins will probably total it because of the air bags. And trust me I have been all over the insurance company for what I feel is their poor handling of this. we've been with them a long time and all our ins is with them and they know they stand to loose our business.
If you have the insurance through the severance period in writing, get on the stick (and if necessary, find a lawyer). This is BS, an office person, and I don't care who said person is, cannot arbitrarily change the terms and conditions of a severance agreement. So if you have it in writing, send it to Blue Cross (I assume this is BC) and to your state DOL- BC might get on the phone to the company and if nothing else, they are forewarned. State DOL may or may not have any sway, but they will tell you.
And don't forget you can file a complaint with your state department of insurance and find out where the insurance company is domiciled and send one to that state dept of insurance.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I understand your frustration.

Last year my Son was at an exit, waiting for the traffic to clear when a young man pulled right into the exit hitting DS head on. This young man told the officer that he had not looked and it was entirely his fault. The officer never even took any notes. We waited over a month for the police report (you now have to pay to get a copy of one). Would you believe the officer determined that both parties were at fault? How was my son at fault when he was sitting at the exit and not the entrance when someone entered the parking lot hitting him? Fortunately our Insurance company did not count the accident against our son. We are also grateful that the young man that hit son was honest enough to make sure that our rates didn't go up as a result of his mistake.

My Sep-Dad was hit while going thru an intersection over 3 weeks ago. The other driver ran a red light. Step-Dad's car was totaled. They are still waiting for a police report to be filed. Mom called yesterday and of course the report has been lost. The other person who was at fault in the accident was ticketed. His insurance company still refuses to pay for a rental until they receive a copy of the police report.

Keep on them, and be sure to check to report for inaccuracies. Maybe it's time to play hardball with the other's insurance company?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts