Insurance Claim Questions Re: Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Please be patient w/ me this is long and I apologize beforehand. Our adjuster will be here on Wed. and I want to be informed of what might I expect. We were hit by three hurricanes in six weeks. Charley passed through w/ cat 1 winds. Frances mowed through w/ cat 2 winds. Jeanne plowed in with cat 3 winds. We didn 't file any claims for Charley. We had some damage but it wasn't enough to meet our 2% deductible and I didn't honestly think they were major losses. Our contractor came out to see about a leak that sprung in the kitchen but the ceiling board wasn't wet so he chalked it up to a dye from humidity (or something :rolleyes: ). Same leak with Frances and I took digital photos of the water coming in at the same place. Insurance adj. said it was probably from the ridge vent being raised by the wind and the water forcibly entering. Ceiling board wasn't wet so he covered us for painting the ceiling. After Jeanne there is mold on the ceiling around the same area the water had been coming in. I think the insulation is probably wet. The ridge vent was beaten off track (during Jeanne) by something flying into it and we got water in the master bedroom and bath as well. There are too many damages to list but one of my questions is: can there be a combined effect on our 25 year roof? We've lost shingles w/ each hurricane and this last one we lost a large section about 10 x 10 and many individual shingles scattered throughout. Many are in place but bent. I think our roof will not last the 22 years it has left after so much wind damage. Can I reasonably ask for roof replacement? The carpet wasn't something I claimed on Frances because it was not a major thing but now with the water from the ceiling, water through the windows, and water through the doors, it is something I am going to claim this time. There is mold on the walls around the floor and mold in the wood beneath. It will be the same adjuster and I thought he was an honest and fair and knowledgeable person before. Can anyone help me understand how insurance might treat something like three hurricanes culmulative damage? I know I have yet another deductible :eek: but what about the continuation of damages fom one hurricane to the next? I discovered mold around windows I rarely open this week- don't know when that happened. Can I claim what I didn't know about after Frances or what was worse after Jeanne, all under Jeanne? I hope this made sense. Thanks.

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Do you have a contractor yet? We went through two insurance claims on a house in another city --- one a year ago which required roof replacement (hail and storm damage) and then another this summer for the fire.

Both required contractors beforehand.

The roof replacement was covered for hail and storm damage from one particularly bad storm that moved through, although other damage had accumulated over time and since the actual damage --- long story short, but the house was my dad's and the storm had hit while he was alive and well, but he'd ended up in the hospital for six mos right after the storm, then a bank took the house for one-two years, a number of other storms hit and there was more damage ---

--- but we got total replacement from the worst storm which actually happened two years previous to the actual replacement of the roof.

IOW, I suspect you're covered --- if we were under our bizarre circumstances, you surely are under your circumstances. But it might take a contractor AND the adjustor to work out exactly how it will go.

Good luck. :( I honestly can't imagine!

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks cg. We don't have a contractor. We have several appointments from different companies for individual repairs: garage door, roof, siding, floor, etc. As you might imagine, they are very busy so no one has been out here yet.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Yes, I can imagine, this is going to take some time.

But really, I suspect that, if they replaced our roof and associated damages for a storm two years previous (despite and including other damage from other storms over the year or so following), they'll do the same for you.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My aunt's roof had 15 year shingles and the adjuster only went after Jeanne. They were given $7K (w/ one deductible) to replace the 13 year roof. This covered both her home and her rental (it's a duplex) and the repair for interior cieling damage. My roof is only 3 years old and we have 25 year shingles. I just don't want to lose and having been through a major fire 10 years ago, I know how damages show up many years afterward. Can't wait to build a monolithic dome. I just don't feel good here anymore...

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Good grief! We had a 3500 sq ft home completely reroofed, laminate, one layer and 30 year warranty for $7K. And it's a gorgeous roof.

It's pricey there in Florida! :no:

I can completely understand about not wanting to live there anymore. Don't think I'd want to either.

7. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Tango, I'm sorry to hear of all you've been through.
    I always heard that whatever falls from the sky is covered.
    Best wishes.

8. Slim

Slim Member

Tango, you need to speak with your agent concerning what type of policy you have. My first question would be do I have a replacement type policy or actual cash value? The second thing that you could run into is that they treat some of the damage from each storm as a seperate claim. If that is the case than your deductible would apply to each claim. The biggest problem that I see that you have is the mold. This problem is two fold. One you need to get rid of it as soon has possible. Mold can cause serious illness. The second problem is it can cause you problems down the line if you ever go to sell your house. Many insurance companies run a clue report on properties to look at past claims. Insurance companies do not like to insure properties that have had mold claims. Several insurance companies have been sued over the handling of mold claims. If I can be of further help let me know. I work for an insurance company. Slim

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks dla and thanks Slim. I've already filed a claim for Frances so I've already paid the deductible once and know I will have to pay another one for Jeanne. Sorry luck to have the agent visit on Friday, the day before Jeanne, but such is life. My policy is "replacement," but there is very little depreciation on my 3 yr-old house so it works out. Mold is quite a common problem right now in a four county area. It will be interesting to see how insurance handles the sales after this is all behind us. I'll just have to wait to see how my agent will handle this. I don't know which storm caused the mold in every case, just the mold on the kitchen ceiling. And since I am paying a second deductible for the same type of damages I will expect to be paid a second time for those damages. The siding was handled as an hourly repair rate but there was no time to have it fixed. The same siding is even looser this time.

10. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Tango,
    I know you didn't ask this, but its something a lot of folks may just overlook in the overwhelming major damage... When Hugo hit, the insurance paid for everything that I lost in the fridge and freezer, I just had to make an itemized list. Since I had been to the store the evening before, I still had my receipt. Now $150 may not seem like much, but every little bit helps.
    Best of luck to you!
    Anne

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

replacement value insurance, or depreciated value ?
    big difference !
    the insullation is wet, for sure, possible structural damamge , have the adjuster check the moisture of the drywall( a good adjuster will have a moisture meter)

the ins. should replace the roof , replace insullation,replace ceiling tiles,
    as for the replace roof, talk to your contractor , make sure hes a local contractor !!!!!!!! dont go with one of the money mongers !!!!, the ones who come into town right after a storm like this , unless they were reccomended by your insurance company ,in fact, in spite of what some people think your insurance will reccomend good contractors , ones they are familiar with working with , yes, it will help to have a contractor that knows how to work with insurance agents , we can help you get a better settlement, and make sure all the work that is or might be a problem is addressed , and paid for by the insurance , yes, even like someone else said the contents of the freezer and fridge

12. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

It's due to workman's comp insurance, it accounts for at least 50% of the cost of a roof in FL.

-- Tim

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Oh yes Anne. I lost all my fridge/freezer items in the kitchen and everything in my large upright freezer in the garage. Contents alone were close to 850, which they paid. Since I raise and butcher myself, plus have a little side business it was something foremost in mind. It was a lot of work and money to fill that freezer :( Now with jeanne the freezer outside was still empty and I only lost meds and vaccines in the fridge inside.

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks bethlaf, If we actually replace the item we get the replacement value, if we don't we get the depreciated value but our home is only 3 years old and there's not much difference in the numbers when it has to do with 25 year life shingles and siding as it basically has so far. We lost our turkey coop to Frances and when it was only 2 weeks old and we had built ot oursleves for $300. Ins. gave us $450 to replace it. Our adjuster last time didn't have a moisture meter- I hope he does this time. I really want the roof replaced. I don' think it will last as long as it should. Driving back from work I saw a lot of destroyed homes, mainly mobile homes beyond repair. We were very lucky. Our house is modular and has taken a lot of abuse these past seven weeks. I just don't want to be on the losing end of it all, which is very easy to be on in these cases: tThe mold, the carpeting is moist, it is so depressing.

15. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like you need your roof replaced PLUS insulation removed and replaced with dry and everything checked for mold and replaced as needed. Your siding may also need repaired from things hitting it. Having been through the insurance wars after a tornado, I'd say to stand firm, don't take any nonsense, don't sign anything. I was told to accept the $15,000 check today or we don't know when of if you'll get anything. I was royally ticked off and reported that particular song and dance team to the state insurance commission. I've learned they will tell you anything, offer partial payment but when you sign the check it says you've been paid in full, etc. All kinds of garbage. And in the end your premiums double, triple or you're canceled. Also, realize that you're dealing with overwhelmed insurance agents overrun with claims and probably terribly stressed out. One of the insurance men dealing with our tornado had a nervous breakdown and was replaced by the above mentioned song and dance team...who were replaced with another adjuster after I reported them. The final adjuster took one look and paid off on our loss as "totaled" for the full policy amount.

16. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Ann. Your post is very inspiring :) I'm going to stand firm and see what happens. we need the roof and the flooring replaced and though I don't know about mold, I think we may need some of the floor wood replaced. whatever happens will be a long process. our garage door blew in and I am still waiting for a company to do the repairs and this one is expedited due to the potential for breaking in ( :haha: my dogs would love it :haha: )