Insulated Barn, Number of Animals?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jennifer L., May 17, 2006.

1. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I know there are a lot of variables involved, but is there any way to figure out how many pounds of live animal is required to keep a well insulated building at, say, 40ºF during the winter? Maybe expressed as 1000 sq.' would take X number pounds? I was thinking today about a conversation I had with someone with rabbits a year or so ago and he was saying he didn' thave enough animals in the barn to keep the water from freezing. That's certainly common in stanchion barns for cows, too, but I wondered if there were any general figures for it.

Jennifer

2. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

I know if you make a barn airtight enough that the body heat of the animals keeps it heated, you have to be very careful of ammonia levels in the air from waste, not to mention respiratory infections from not having fresh air.

I personally just leave the barn open and airy and cold in the winter and just plan for freeze proof waterers.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yes. A tight barn will cause respiratory disease in all your livestock. Most animals do fine in a three-sided shelter, if you orient it to provide protection from most of the winter winds. I use the black rubber buckets and pans for all my animals water, and when they freeze up, just break the ice out and refill them. It's a bit of a pain to be hauling water to them -- if I had the money, I'd put in a buried water line and a freeze-proof hydrant to the 'barn'.

Kathleen

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know how cold it gets where you are....but most animals do better with no insulation in their barns, just a good tight windbreak. Our cows have no barn at all, our goats have a couple barns without doors that are tight to keep out most of the wind. Poultry has coop, rabbits have small sheds to keep them dry and out of the drafts. I would not keep animals in an insulated barn/shed......

5. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmm. Yes, I take your meaning on the lack of ventilation, but I'm assuming the building would be adequately ventilated. Maybe it's not possible for a smaller structure . . . I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks for the replys!

Jennifer