Instructions for making PVC Mineral and Baking Soda Feeders

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Here is the site that has the instructions for the PVC Mineral and Baking Soda Feeders. Just scroll down the page a little to find it.

As I said in my post....I do not put a "cap" on the bottom. I put what they called a clean out plug that screws in and out so I can clean out the bottom of the feeder if necessary. It is a lot better than using cottar pins or trying to make holes and wire the bottom cap on. Also there is no reason to affix the top cap at all. You can easily attach these pipe feeders to a fence or post or wall using the plumbers metal strap that has all of those holes in it and a couple screws. I attach mine somewhere up close to the top and down by the Y for stability. Just use the pvc pipe cleaner and glue to attach the main parts together permanently. These are very fast and easy to make. I put one together from start to finish in about 10 minutes and they work great. No mess no waste.

P.S. Be SURE to use the "THIN WALL" PVC pipe. The thin wall pipe works just fine, is plenty durable and is a LOT less expensive than that thick wall kind.

http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomfram...rticles/construction/grain-mineralfeeders.htm

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Hey thanks!! I've been doing the baking-soda-in-the-bowl thing, and I'm always dumping most of it out, 'cause it gets so dirty.. how often do you find that you have to clean it out??

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I built these feeders in June I think. They have emptied them once. (I have 2 mineral feeders and 2 baking soda feeders in 2 different areas) I let them eat it all the way down as far as they could and then I unscrewed the bottom and let the little clumps fall out on the ground and swiped it out with my hand, screwed it back on and filled it back up. I think it was just mostly some clumps from slobber as they were licking at it. The minerals seem to get a little crusted from getting damp while they are licking at it. Just every so often, maybe once a week or so, all I do is just take my finger and scratch at it and rake the crusty stuff out on the ground and the fresh minerals fall down.