installing v-crimp roofing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beststash, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the "best" way to install v-crimp sheet metal? I have been told two different ways -
    1. screw 3" inches from the double "V" on each side and on either side of the center "V" (4 screws per row)
    2. install on the first "V" peak of overlap, center peak (3 screws per row - peaks only)

I do not want any leaks - roof pitch is 9/12 - Please help!!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Install 5-V roof metal by overlapping two raised v's over two raised v's; with your hammer place a 'ding' into the v clostest to the edge of the metal, then puncture the v with a sharpened punch or nail, make a hole just big enought for your final nail (or screw) to enter. NEVER place a nail or screw in the flat area. The ones I installed in 1967 are still there, not leaking yet. Placeing a nail or screw in the center v is an option if you are in a severe wind area.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with Moopups. Roof metal should be fastened through the top of the ridges with screws made for that purpose which will bore their own hole through the metal. They have hex heads that are easily screwed in using a power drill. Nails will work loose in many places. Use at least 3 screws across each sheet. Space them no more than 4 feet between rows.
    When installing the metal on vertical walls, place the screws right beside the ridges and the metal will lay flatter against the walls.

4. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the quick reply!!!!!

5. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

It may be too late but here's a thread where this was discussed recently:

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=38881

I think the best answer is to ask for recommendations from where you purchased the roofing. Then they should stand behind it if you have problems.