Installing a 5th wheel plate

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Patty0315, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

When installing a 5th wheel plate in the bed of a truck{97 ford} does it mount to the frame just in front of the rear ties{toward the bed} or the frame right over the tires or both ? Thanks ~ Patty

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................You need to build a Pull Plate....5\8 th's inch steel plate about 12 inches wide that will stretch all the way across and then weld a steel arm on each side that are on the OUTSIDE of the frame rails and attach with 2 grade 10, by 9\16 inch bolts. My pull plate fits UNDER my regular pickup bed and then we bolted the factory made goosenech hitch with the folddown ball so that the Ball is hidden when NOT in Use. The hitch is rated for 20,000 pounds and can be purchased at tractor supply for about 99 bucks. ....fordy..... :eek: :)

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I'm so dumb Patty. I just reread your question and it is about 5th. wheels!!!! I was referencing my answer to a Gooseneck hitch. They are Two different hitches....sorry....fordy.... :eek: :)

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Are yo putting a fifth wheel or a gooseneck ball in the truck. The center of the 5th wheel hitch should be a couple inches ahead of the center of the rear tires, and bolted to the frame down through the frame. My 5th wheel has 2 channels that go across the pickup bed far enough to be bolted to the frame. If you are setting up for a camper, you have to have 43 inches between the 5th wheel pin and the pickup cab or the trailer will hit the cab of the truck on a sharp turn. This requires an 8ft bed. If you put a 5th wheel over the wheels on a 6ft bed you can't turn but a very little.