Insect identification

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jul 27, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I just saw the strangest insect out by the goat barn and I have no idea if it's an ant, a spider or a mutant bee.

The critter was about an inch long -- very large. Its body had three sections. The tail section was large and round and looked a little fuzzy, like a bee --- this tail section was at first sight yellowish, but on closer inspection a very light yellow-orange. The tail part was divided into two of these yellowish-orange things, was one dark line right in the middle of each.

I thought at first it was a bee, but it behaved like an ant and, on closer inspection, looked very much like an ant except this weird tail end part. it wasn't aggressive, but it seemed to be very busy.

the rest of the body of the insect was a brownish color similar to the color of small red ants.

:confused: Anyone have any idea what it might be?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha: What a great site! And what a scary looking critter!

But, no. Not a potato bug. Little legs were much more refined and dark. Top two segments were ant-colored, that kind of reddish brown that some ants have.

And the tail segment, it was like it was divided into two light yellow-orangish orbs with a very thin mark (like one stripe going horizontal to the body) in the middle of each orb.

:confused:

4. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

5. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

Don't touch it it is also called a cowkiller because the sting has been said to hurt bad enough to kill a cow!
    Velvet Ant
    COLOR: Red and black

DESCRIPTION: Velvet ants are medium-sized, red and black insects that resemble ants, but are more closely related to wasps. Their bodies are densely clothed with red and black hairs that give the insect a velvety appearance. The
    wingless females (males are winged and rarely seen) can inflict a nasty sting, and can make a squeaking noise when captured.

LIFE CYCLE: The female velvet ant invades a nest of wasps or bumblebees and lays eggs in the cells of the host. The velvet ant larvae kills and eats the host bee pupa.

TYPE OF DAMAGE: Can sting

CONTROL: If control is desired, individual velvet ants can be killed with an aerosol spray.

INTERESTING FACTS: These insects are parasitic on wasps and bees. Try to see the picture here.
    www.utep.edu/.../ arthropods/DDvelvetant.htm
    Gmom

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

That's it, gmom!

:no: Sheesh. And there's people wondering why I'm tearing down the goat barn. And this is why. Not only is it ancient and decrepit and horrid looking and ready to fall down by itself, it's also infested with more creepy stuff than you can shake a stick at.

What it needs is getting torn down and a year of good old fashioned sunshine and hoeing in that area.

:no:

Thanks. Excuse me while I go tear down the goat barn some more! :no:

7. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

8. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

9. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

First time I ever saw a potato bug, it was crawling across my LR floor. I could hardly sleep that nite. I KNEW the bed was going to be full of them before morning! (it wasn't)

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

How about a wood wasp?