Insanity at the stores

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by suzfromWi, Dec 12, 2006.

1. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm watching the news and see these idiots at the stores. Some camp out overnight to get things and some push shove and run into the store. All for the new Ninetendo game. Paying twice as much for it. This is complete insanity. Two months ago DD wanted to get the new Tickle me Elmo for her new GS. You couldnt find it. As soon as it came in, it would be gone. We will wait till he's a little older and it has lost its charm. Whats wrong with people?

2. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

I can't believe people pay so much to have to listen to an annoying toy, they have to listen to over and over. If it makes noise I don't want it near me. the kids play with their noisy toys in their rooms with there doors shut. I'm a grouch.

3. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I can't stand to even walk through the toy dept....it's just a bunch of loud crass junk. And it's so high priced! I always think...would I WANT to play with this stuff. Never in a million years.

I usually go to the other departments and find little things that kids would like...

the camping dept.: flashlights, a tent, a pocket knife,

craft and sewing: paint by number kits, embroidery, art supplies, jewelry making kits

pet dept.: cat or dog toys, fish, hamster, bug cages

and books!

4. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

When my kids were little they had a playroom in the basement with a concrete floor. there were three of them and no other kids on either side of the family. they had been gifted with every toy a grandparent, aunt, or uncle could find.

So we decided their gift would be a rug for the playroom floor. We boxed up all the toys and put the rug down. When we took them to see, were they happy to have a rug? Well, actually they didn't even notice the rug. What they noticed was that all the toys were gone and they had room to play! they spent the whole day there with their pillows and blankets from their beds. eventually they added a box of blocks and a few animals.

they asked if they could keep their room - a room that had been totally "theirs" for two years. what they wanted to keep was their SPACE.

5. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

I've seen studies that say that kids are the ones with all the discretionary income these days. In other words, parents work two jobs and pay all the bills, then whatever is left over they hand to their children. That's just crazy.

Other studies show that stores do most (I forget the exact percentage but it's HUGE) of their business between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can attest to that as I was a cashier at a record store for a year. All year we had one cashier on duty, but three cash registers. Why? For Christmas. For 11 months, it was a dull job: I could read a novel every day between rare customers. During the Christmas season all three registers had customers lined up from open to close.

All for people to buy each other crap they won't even like.

Yesterday I went to the post office and found that my dear aunt has sent us a gift. She stll hasn't figured out that you can write "gift" on the customs form, so I already know it's crap I won't like. But it's the thought that counts, I guess....

Can't we all figure out a way to express the thought without throwing a load of money down the toilet?

Here's the latest anniversary gift I gave my wife. It was our sixth,and we have done the traditional thing, so this was the Iron anniversary. So I got a lump of iron, and a hammer, and with absolutely no idea what I was making, started to work. This is what came out:
    [​IMG]

Yes, it's an Iron Butterfly

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey,
    don't you know that I love you?
    In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby,
    don't you know that I'll always be true?

6. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Hey, an Iron Butterfly! Cool!

Roots and Wings: Loved your playroom story. I'm convinced kids don't like toys. I (we) never got many when I was a kid except those that my dad and auntie made us.

We loved to play board games every evening after "study hour" and we'd lay them out on the rug lots of times.

I'm strongly considering going up to the appliance store and getting a huge box for my grandson. He'd love that to play in.

7. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

If I had 600 700 extra I to would be getting one. Now what many people DON"T know about these PS3 machines is that it not only is a Gaming machine. BUT it Plays HD DVDs Yes that is correct it is a High Definition DVD Player, that uses the Newest DVDs Blu Ray DVD. Now you also must understand that just Buying a Blu Ray High Definition DVD Player is Now get this $1,000 Bucks~!~ SO not only is a person getting the latest and greatest DVD Player but a Gaming machine besides. Which also has a 60 Gig Hard Drive ~!
    And it must be said that Both HD DVD and the Blu Ray DVDs Can NOT be played on regular DVD Players that is in so many homes now.~!
    This is the Newest in High Definition Technology.
    So there is some madness behind this newest craze for sure.
    Now I just heard that the new Wii is over taking the PS3 because of that Blu Ray DVD is adding close to 200 dollars MORE in cost and has already topped out selling in the USA.
    These Wii look so cool interactive gaming between the player and watching it on TV. You swing your game controller and what ever game is player shows on the TV screen Bowling, Tennis, and one you can even practice in an Operating room~!!! And You See this on TV how you are doing things. For my money that sounds WAY better then the PS3 machine.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

What people are doing to get products is really sad in my books. Like come on people...they are only things. Would be better if they spent time with their families.

Me... I do not shop at stores during the holidays... I do it online. That way I do not deal with grumpy people that rather run me over, than be polite.
    My animals have better manners.

9. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Just wanted to share the Christmas shopping when I was little...we would take a looooong trip to downtown Seattle to the department stores(Bon Marche and Frederick and Nelson). We'd all dress up, in dresses(well, the "dress" part was not fun, but the "dressing up" made it special), my mom would wear gloves(!) and her dressy salt and pepper coat with the minky collar I loved to pet, and we'd get our picture taken with Santa. We'd just walk around looking at the Christmas decorations, I remember a really cool team of reindeer and santa sleigh hanging from the ceiling--lots of decorations that were artsy farty, rather than just a bunch of glitter.

There weren't any malls yet ;).

10. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Love the Iron butterfly!We are not shopping for the latest toys or gadgets never have.I get most of the gifts I buy from catalogs,start early in the year.Buy what I can ,by Christmas its all done.Big crowds in a shopping frenzy terrifies me.You all can tell I dont get out much :dance: