Input request about reported bunny death...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by sheep tamer, Mar 23, 2005.

1. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience or can advise so we do not have this happen again...

After a couple litters born, we decided we did not want to butcher this batch...we ran an ad for our colorful multipurpose bunnies born 1/3/05.
    The first folks came and bought a ginger-colored buck from us, the next morning there was a partial phone message on machine saying they got home and the bunny was shaking, went limp, so they put him back in the box we'd sent him home in, and he appeared to recover. The next a.m. their daughter had him on her lap, he began shaking and just died shortly after.

We did sell a doe from the batch and have heard no adverse reports, the remaining 5 from the litter are fine...we've not lost any rabbits, we have not had any sickness since starting up our rabbitry last fall.

Our immediate response is to say, "oh well, once they're off our property, we assume no responsibility". Who can really say it was not the other party's fault?

On further reflection, our reputation could be damaged if we are not more forgiving...it won't break us to give a refund or replacement. Since we do not know how to contact these people, we can only expect they may call again and would like to be a little better prepared...
    Input here greatly appreciated. TIA

The sheep (and bunny) tamer

2. mch2crzy

mch2crzy New Member

sorry to here the bunny died you are right there is no way to tell who if any one is at fault. i have lots of pets and breed dogs and any time i have bought an animal i have gotten some kind of limited return policy in writing. some were only 24 hour others like my dog were 2 year genetic defect and 72 hour for all other problems. when i bought my mini rex i got a 72 hour but if the animal died i would have had to bring it in to them before any replacement or refund. i do 72 hour refund or replacement with my dogs and i offer to tke back any pup from my line at any time with out refund if the person decides they do not want it any more i then would find a good home and give the animal away hope this help

3. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    From a business/marketing standpoint, you should have offered to replace the rabbit with no questions asked. The goodwill that you would have shown would stay with your customer for a long time and when they were in the market for another rabbit, they would remember your integrity. As it is, you probably will never hear from them again.

Remember, a complaining customer is giving you the opportunity to correct a problem and make them happy. It is the unhappy customer who doesn't complain that is going to do business elsewhere.

Peace,
    Curtis AKA ChickenChaser

4. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

ChickenChaser, you should note that the buyer did not leave any contact information, so kinda hard to offer anything. I am sure the Sheep Tamer will do the right thing if the people call back.

5. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Thanks for the replies. Stil haven't heard back from these folks...the woman who bought this bunny got it for her granddaughter, so it was the daughter in law calling, and we didn't get anyone's names!

Integrity is the goal, fer shur. There are enuf unethical people around, why not be different? :cool:

Still kinda thought someone might have seen a bunny exhibit similar behavior...always eager to learn something about these guys.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i have seen bunnies ltierally die of fits of nerves, its rare but does happen , i would expect were an autopsy feasable you would find some internal issue that wasnt readily apparent, its unfortunate you have no phone number, i would have explained it, if give a chance just like that, could you please bring the body back and we will be more than happy to let you choose another from this litter, or we will take your number and you can choose out of our next litter, but since that hasnt happened theres not much you can do ...

OTOH i always for my own personal record keeping try to get at least a name and a number from folks i sell to for pets, if they ask why just say , its for our records
    nothing major, if they refuse, well thats fine too
    48 hours is reasonable on rabbits, on younger rabbits with the issues with thier little intestines , i think its only fair , older breeding rabbits, 45 days is fair , if you know its a proven or even unproven , give the rabbit a chance to show itself .
    Beth

7. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

we have made up a contract that says we will take back any bunnie that gets sick or dies with in 14 days of sale....if dies or sick we asked to be notified with in 24 hours of onset...we also state in in contract that we are not responsible for any vet bills not incured by ourselves,also that if the rabbit is sold to another person[not original buyer ] the contract is void....you may want to write up a contract and keep very good records[dam,sire]how many litters any health defects,deaths...so you can give upon request...we sell to a dealer but the contract covers our butt...we also will give money back if asked cause we know that some things are out of our hands once weaned and moved but we do not charge alot and not worth it to us to be bad mouthed....hope this helps Dale Anne