Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
You should not be feeding alfalfa to a dairy cow before freshening, you need to reduce calcium intake at this time so the cow begins the hormonal changes that allows her to release calcium from her body for the great demands that will occur after calving (alfalfa is high in calcium). If the cow cannot release calcium for the milk, she may be prone to milk fever. That said, I don't think milk fever is common in first calf heifers, but better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Cristina, like I said, milk fever is rare in heifers, should be ok. I would get a good loose mineral formulated for dry cows. Cows are pretty hardy critters, and as long as she seems healthy, and in good flesh, I would relax. When the calf starts to show, remember that the hooves should appear right side up, and the nose should soon appear (soon is relative, could be 2 minutes, or 2 hours). If the hooves are in any other position (or no hooves appear at all) you have a malpresentation, and need to call a pro.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Christine, I would Isolate the calf for 12 hours a day, and let it nurse for 12 hours. This way you get all the milk you need, the calf gets all it need, and you only have to milk once per day

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.