Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 34ft of the inline heating cable from Klubertanz in my pvc watering system and wrapped a heating pad around my water regulator, then plugged them both into the 35 degree thermostat that I also purchased from Klubertanz. It has been working great for about a month now with temps the last two nights of 9 and 10 degrees! I just wanted to let everyone know how good it is not to drain the lines every night! The only problem I had was with the compression fittings they sale, I had tyo pack them with pipe tape to get a good seal! If anyone is thinking of trying this I highly recommend it! Someone had posted about this and got my curiosity up about it and thats what I love about this board....new ideas,reviews and advice! Thanks and God Bless

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
We used to use heat tape on the outside of the water lines with black foam insulation covering it. Worked great in Seattle. Here in Texas its just easier to drain the lines on cold nights. I feed early and let them drink and then drain them before bed. My system has the feed lines along the top of the front of the cages with droppers for each cage. Each dropper has a pvc valve at the bottom. I just go along and open all the valves and drain the system. My storage tank is a 5 gallon bucket so there isn't that much water to drain. I don't have a pressure regulator in the system as the system isn't connected to my home water system and the pressure depends only on how high the storage tank is above the cages. I get a couple of psi which is enough to operate the nipples.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I don't have a pressure regulator on my line, just have a valve that is cracked open slightly. Works fine for me.

I really like the in line cable and am glad it's working for you. It's really nice knowing the rabbits have 24/7 water when it's really cold out!

Jennifer

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
I don't have a pressure regulator on my line, just have a valve that is cracked open slightly. Works fine for me.

I really like the in line cable and am glad it's working for you. It's really nice knowing the rabbits have 24/7 water when it's really cold out!

Jennifer
Ah, somone from the frigid north. Could you describe your whole system, Jennifer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts