Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you treat rabbits who lost toes due to dogs under their cages? Three of my 8week old rabbits were attacked by a dog and each lost a toe on their rear foot. Two lost the flesh but have the bone and nail still intact, and one has a complete amputation.
Watch and wait?
Antibiotics and watch?
Surgically remove the joints and suture?
Cull?
I'm so upset over the incident, but I also can't really afford to vet each one for surgery. Is there any other option to help them?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'd wait and watch. Rabbits have amazing abilities to heal. I've been astounded more than once with rabbits with nasty cuts that given a bit of time, heal up quite nicely.

If any type of infection seems to set in...then I'd wash it well. Dry it well. Treat it with something that dries on quickly and won't harm bunnies if they lick it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure, I think I'd wait and watch.
I was thinking about the incident though. I'm just starting, but I think I would put some type of screen around the cages so this couldn't happen again. I'm getting my hutch soon and think I will go ahead and put a removable wire fence around the base of mine. I'm sure my dogs are going to go crazy once I move my bunnies outside.

·
Registered
815 Posts
A rabbit with an infection is not a good thing... I would disinfect them and them wait and watch.

If you can source some antibiotics baytril and choloropalm are safe for rabbits, but are Rx.I have heard good things about the healing properties of oregano oil (applied to the wound and taken orally), and apparently it's used a lot by dog hunters. Maybe give it a try?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I ended up taking them all to the vet that day because I couldn't stand the thought of them suffering. I knew he'd amputate the one toe that was the worst (if I had help available I would've done it myself). All of them are on Baytril twice a day and they seem to be doing well. Not cheap, but I feel they deserve good care and I felt responsible for allowing the dog in.

My rabbits are in a fully enclosed barn with a secure door. The dog getting in was a total fluke! A friend accidently left a door open while visiting and that's how the stray gained access. I have since added wire around the cages and I am adding another latch to the door itself. My ES and Aussie are great about guarding the property and the livestock, but I had them in the house that day. They are both very good around the rabbits and I do not worry about them harming the buns or chickens.

I just moved to a new place so the fence around the entire property is not completely up yet. I should have that finished by next week though and that plus the hot wire and my own dogs should keep everyone safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts