Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to feed the bunnies today at 4:30 and found one of my 4 week old kits had gotten himself into trouble. Seems he got his leg stuck in the bottom cage wire in a place where I have wired their igloo to the bottom (to keep them from playing hockey with it). The wire must wiggled around to make the hole half its usual size, and somehow the little houdini managed to fit his leg through the resulting space.

I cut the wire and his leg came right out, no problems. But he didn't hop away.... he looked kind of limp. So of course I thought he had panicked when he got his leg stuck and broken his back. But his rear reflexes are all good and his back does not appear to be broken. Neither does the leg for that matter. :shrug:

I put him in the plastic storage container that I use to transport kits, with lots of hay for bedding, and placed a gallon jug of warm water next to him. I did manage to force a few drops of water into his mouth, which he was displeased with, but he didn't struggle - just turned his head away. I left him there while I finished my chores, and when I came back it looked like he was eating some of the hay so I put some pellets in front of him, and it looks like he's trying to eat those a bit too. I went ahead and put a water bottle in there too, so he has access to fluids.

I don't know what to do with him next. I don't have any spare cages right now, they're all full with breeders and fryers that are due to be processed this coming weekend. I can leave him in the container overnight, but he won't have access to his mom's milk, and he's only 4 weeks old.

He's still not acting right, I'm not sure if its shock or if he wore himself out struggling or what. He has his legs tucked up under him now, where as before he laid on his side and really looked like a limp dishrag, so I guess that's an improvement??

Advice?

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Poor little guy. If you can put him on the doe this evening and let him nurse and then put him back in the storage container overnight, he may do okay. Could he be in shock? Maybe add an electrolyte solution to the water and make it on the warmish side. The hot water container is a good idea, as long as he can get away from it. You may even want to bring him indoors overnight as long as it isn't hot in there.

I'm no expert, but I would think keeping him warm, quiet, hydrated and getting some kind of energy/electrolytes into him would be the most important things. Maybe by morning he will be okay to rejoin his family.

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll see about getting him to nurse, not sure how that's gonna go. There's a total of 7 kits in that litter, mom is a great mother - haven't lost a single one from her yet - but she's getting annoyed with her babies and is getting grumpy with me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it were me I would bring him into the house and bring mom in to feed just him. Less competition. She might not be as grumpy with just one. And if she is I'd hold her upside down to let littleguy nurse. I hate losing babies.

Linda

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just checked on him.... he hadn't moved, so I placed him on his side and he made no effort to "right" himself, then I placed him on his back and again he just laid there. If he has eaten it isn't much. He does seem a bit more alert than he was earlier though.

Maybe I'm missing something here :shrug:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you have any rolled oats to try giving him. My babies always dive into those.

Linda

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
He could have pulled some muscles in his struggles. He may also be exhausted. I'd do as Morgansgr8 suggests and bring him into the house. If you have a willow tree, a few twigs with the bark will act as a pain killer.

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, I just gave him some of the rolled oats that I have here and he pretty much ignored them. I don't have any willow branches to offer him. I'll ahead and bring him into the house overnight and see how things go.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
The willow was just an idea to make him more comfortable. You might want to prop him in a comfortable position for the night if he needs help in that respect. Don't agonize too much if you can help it (says Maggie, who agonizes about all her critters constantly :rolleyes: ) but just do what you can and hope for the best. Once things are quiet and he has rested, he may be more interested in the rolled oats or other foods.

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I had to put the little guy out of his misery this morning. :( Absolutely no improvement overnight, doesn't look like he ate or drank much of anything, and I couldn't get him to nurse when I brought momma in either. He still wouldn't right himself if placed on his side and he just seemed unhappy. :shrug:

Thanks to all for the advice... I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
So sorry... It's always a tough decision, but it sounds as though his injuries were more serious than just the sore leg. You probably did the best thing under the circumstances.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Sorry you lost the kit. I've found that if I placed a kit on it's side and it made no move to right itself that it was pretty much a goner. They seem to have that instinct from birth. I can take a brand new kit (minutes old), put it on it's back and it will do it's darndest to flip over. If that instinct is gone it seems to indicate something pretty serious. Just my observation....:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts