Injecting Ivomec question.......

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I need to treat my buck for meningeal worm b/c I'm out of ideas for getting him well. I have read many places to use Ivomec injectable on him. It says not to use a paste or pour on. Does that sound like I'm to inject it or just use the injectable Ivomec orally?? I don't think Ivomec injectible is a paste or pour on so maybe they just mean to give the injectable orally. Anyway, do I use the kind for cattle? Is that OK? The vet told me to stop giving the Fort. B Complex b/c it should have helped him already. Hmmm..... Thanks, I appreciate it.

2. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Get the injectable for cattle and do double to triple the cattle dose this is a clear liquid. Inject it sub Q and be prepared it burns like @#*&!

3. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I give 1cc per 50 lbs. of body weight, orally.

4. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

To get meningeal worm you have to actually inject it, instead of giving it orally. Dosage is the same.

5. TC

TC Well-Known Member

ok sorry, I just saw what worm it was ...... :rolleyes:

6. Milk n' Honey

Thanks so much. That's what I needed!!

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Milk n Honey good luck with your goat.. Hope he gets well soon = Your doing a great job keep at it..

8. Milk n' Honey

AllWolf.....Thank you. I am really trying. It is like I told my husband today.....goats aren't dying for a lack of care. Incorrect diagnosis is easy to do in cases like these. I don't know what it is for sure. What I do know is that it can't be Polio. He should have responded to the Vitamin B shots. I was giving him a lot of it. Now I'm worried about his rumen. He has dropped a ton of weight. His ribs are all showing and his sides are way caved in. He was looking great before this. Only a week and he has lost a considerable amount of weight. His condition is quite poor. I am giving Probios to him daily to try and help his poor rumen. It might be trashed by now. I don't have a lot of hope at this point. His rumen is showing some function (the contractions) but it feels hard. He doesn't look bloated but he is so thin. I really don't know. He looks terrible. Poor guy. I wish I were a vet. I'd make sure I knew goats up one side and down the other. More vets should take an interest in them. By the time I get through, I'll know a thing or two...the hard way of learning if you ask me!!

I started treatment for Meningeal worm tonight. Just to let you know what kind of shape he's in, I gave him the SubQ shot if Ivomec injectable and he didn't budge. He didn't groan. He showed no response to it and I've read numerous places where it hurts so bad that one goat even passed out. He must be totally numb. This is my last ditch effort. I'm tired and out of ideas and equally out of money!! I need a buck that can breed something. I'm going to lose the $750 we paid for him plus all the meds we pumped plus we have to replace him. There is a lady close by who is very anal about herd health. She makes everyone wear protective booties into her pasture so they can't carry bacteria in from someone their own farm. Sounds crazy maybe but at this point, I can understand why. One bacteria can devastate a whole herd. Anyway, I may call her about a buck. Much more and I'm going to sell out. I can't take much more of it. I'll keep you update on our buck. I sure hope this works. He really is a good buck. If feel sorry for him.

9. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

The lady close by is who you should have been talking to all this time. You need to find someone close by who would be willing to come out and help. We can only give suggestions as we cannot see the animal. Give her a call.