Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am not new here, but I have not been here in a very long time. This is also a new idenitity.

I use wood as a heat source, but I am interested in other options to supplement.
Can anyone give me reviews or recomendations on infrared heaters?

If this has already been discussed, I am sorry.

All these options and no spell check? Or am I missing it?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I love the propane wall heaters. it is so cheery and warm. instant on and off. the downside is open flame/ burn potential for little ones and it is bright. makes for a good nightlight.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have the sunheat heaters and love them they have a thermostat so you can set it for what you want. Saved my butt last winter.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/classicflame-infrared-power-heater-with-walnut-finish

I got one like this 2 years ago it seems to work fine didn't raise the electric that much, we use it for the upstairs bed rooms, We have a barn frame house, so there is no insulation in the walls and no heat upstairs except what naturally rises from the first floor. we heat the rooms before bed time and shut it off once in bed. Have used it around the other rooms of the house too. It works good for the room you sit in but not so good for too big a space.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you are asking about electric heaters, to paraphrase the bard, A watt is a watt is a watt. A watt by any other name still puts out the same heat. Unless you are talking about a heat pump. That is a totally different animal.

No matter what type of electric heater that you use, heat pumps not withstanding, it will still put out the same heat. The advantage of infared heaters is that they radiate heat to objects (people included) instead of heating the air. This allows you to be in a cooler room and feel warmer IF the heater is pointed at you.

Electric heaters are great for precision zone heating, but to reap any saving you MUST reduce the thermostat setting to the rest of the house. Otherwise you will pay a premium for a roomful of electrical heat, which is the most expensive way to heat, without getting any savings on your furnace fuel.

My furnace went down several years ago, instead of repairing/replacing it, I installed a few wall mounted vent free propane heaters.

These allow almost the zone precision heating of electric heaters at a MUCH greater cost efficiency.

Since I made this transition, my propane usage averages 300 gallons annually. I also have a wood stove and use electric blankets to help offset the electric and propane cost.

An added benefit to the wall mount heaters is that they work perfectly when the electricity is out.

I hope that this helps you.

Peace,
Curtis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts