Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these a while back. This guy was a shepherd of very large flocks in the UK for many years. I think he has a lot of great information to share.

He has a whole series of these. Check them out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the important aspects of any homestead is the care and well being of our animals. Back in the day when we had horses we always kept a well stocked and ready to go emergency medical kit around for them. Some times that same kit also held a human first aid kit as well. We had a kit in the barn and a second kit that traveled with us in the horse trailer to horse shows and trail rides. Many times that kit unfortunately came it quite handy.

Lambing time or birthing time for any kind of live stock is another time when you need a very specific kit at the ready. Recently we had a lambing that turned into an emergency and the vet had to be called. Fortunately I had my gear ready. I had just stocked up my kit and we needed to use many of the items in it on this occasion. Because I had the items necessary things were able to go smoothly. With out several of the items ready and at hand things would have turned out VERY differently.

For example... I had the OB gloves and lube ready and at easy reach when we determined that a vaginal check was necessary due to Molly's labor not progressing. Because of this check we were able to give the veterinarian very valuable information, so that he had a good idea what the problem was BEFORE he arrived at the property. Also we had the towels ready to rub the distressed breach baby, Thyme, well and stimulate it's breathing. We also had the feeding tube, the knowledge AND the powdered colostrum that gave her that little bit of energy that most likely saved her life.

The vet's job was to get those babies delivered and the mother in a safe zone. It was solely our job to provide the intensive care necessary for the first 24 hours that enabled little Thyme to start to mend. All of that depends on being prepared.

When I was restocking my supplies and this time actually putting the items into a backpack instead of the plastic bag where they had resided before I decided that it would be a good idea to shoot this as a video as well. Who knows who this video might help in the future. Remember that the same idea can be used for a simple medical kit for your animals as well, be they dog, cat, hen or alpaca.

Enjoy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts