Info wanted

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Tyrone, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Tyrone

Tyrone New Member

I have a rural acre a few miles from town and I've thought about putting some hives there. I bought some books on the subject a few years ago and then decided against doing it but a co-worker is thinking about bees and honey on his acreage and that has gotten the juices flowing again. I've started reading the books again and I haven't been able to find the answer to my one question. My acre is surrounded by corn and soybean fields. There are very few farmers raising cattle or other livestock in this part of Iowa anymore so there are no hay fields to speak of so no clover. Where would my bees go to gather nectar? Soy beans do flower but I can't imagine what that honey would taste like. I have a few trees on the acre and a lot of weeds but there is nothing else for miles. Could I be successful if I placed a couple of hives on my property.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Bees forage over A 5 mile radius so you need to see what avalible. Also are ther any Orchards near you?? or truck farms they need pollination services to make the crop. Right now theres nothing blooming in your area. but try looking into a selection of plants that could be used for nectar/pollen in the spring. Like buckwheat and rape ssed they both need bees and are A decent honey too. Consult the local Ag advisor in your area and see what there office thinks..

3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you live in the middle of a desert, I can assure you there's plenty of flower available to the bees. From dandylions and clover, to backyard gardens, to corn crops and all the various trees. Nectar will be found by the bees.

4. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

Do You ever see honey bees in your area? If so, then the answer is definately "Yes" there is enough of a pollen and nectar source for them.
    It may put your mind at ease to ask an Ag extension agent if there are honey bees or beekeeping clubs in the area. If there are, then the bees can find enough to get by.

I have often marvelled that the bees in my yard are able to gather get so much nectar, as I don't plant anything for them and there are only so many flowering things that I see around.

5. Heartransplant

Heartransplant New Member

Beekeeping can be very successful in the central United States. You are in a region that has adequate rainfall. As mentioned earlier, only a beekeeper in the desert would have a problem. I was taught that bees have a typical forage range of 3 miles, but will go further if necessary. Your bees will probably collect what I refer to as wild honey. Certain trees are highly productive sources of nectar - tulip poplar and locust. It is amazing what bees can find in their flight area.
    You need to remember that medication of your bees for mites is very important. Dadant sells a modified sugar that is very successful at this and it was recently approved as organically certified.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

:clap: Most areas have all a bee needs in the ditches and peoples yards. The small white clover blooms for a long time in lawns here in michigan as does dandolions.

:D Al