Info on Marshall, AR area

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by savingup, Aug 25, 2004.

1. savingup

savingup Active Member

Anyone in the area of Marshall, AR (Searcy County)? If so, would you mind filling me in on some of the finer points of the area? We're going to look at some property there in September.

Have already requested info from Chamber of Commerce there.

Thanks

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Been there 3 times in the last 14 months and as soon as I sell here I am moving there!! Great area but no jobs available in the northern part of the whole state which is why property is soo reasonable, taxes are low, and cost of living very low. Not much bureacracy i.e. building codes. Weather was great in Spring and Summer for me, best shopping is in Harrison to the north. Marshall itself doesn't have much in the way of shops but the library is great. Get yourself a county map at the Marshall newspaper office it helps getting around on those back roads.

3. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

I am very near there, and the license branch lady, and home bank of arkansas are the meanest people on the planet.

4. savingup

savingup Active Member

Ozarkin it, what do you mean about the bank people? Oh yea, nice to meet the license lady. :)

5. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I believe Ozarkin'it means that some banks are simply NOT to be trusted under ANY circumstances. (The same applies to some real estate companies.) Goatlady gave a pretty accurate description.

If I was going to seel the place and move to another county, Searcy County would be my choice. (I'm near Yellville in Marion County - the neighboring county to the north and about an hour from Marshall.)

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Well, in case you havent noticed, theres LOTS of homesteaders , or independant types within 45 miles of harrison , lots of homesteaders on this board are in that area im with you, We own land down there near Omaha, Ar , and our homestead land is near Green Forest, the plan is to move next year , now ....

**see marilyns post on the gathering in september Near the buffalo river

call em hillbillies, homesteaders, backwards kooks ....whatever (((just not to thier faces :haha: ))
    the terrain and the general economy basiclly enforce the homestead/independant lifestyle, and the state hasnt an economy to encourage people to leave this lifestyle, other than walmart, there is no large industry,
    chicken farming, is still farming, as is the turkey operations,
    if all you need is a part time , skilless job , im sure you can find one , be prepared for paycheck shock , i know when i moved down here i was used to Wisconsin pay rates....
    so , seeing people making WAY WAY less than what i was used to , and being pleased with it , was a bit of a surprise

but it sounds like you know that already
    you will enjoy it, except for the summer humidity, :D
    Beth

7. Jan C.

Jan C. New Member

Hi...I live in Northwest Arkansas, Madison County....I love it here...it took awhile for me to adjust to being so remote, but I am learning .....I moved here from Dallas Texas.
    I have a cedar, rock home, on 120 acres....I heat with wood, & have 2 water sources.. (something I have learned is invaluable in Madison county)
    I am a wildlife artist, and work from home. I care for my mother, who has alzheimer's disease, and trail ride when I get the chance....I raise Missiouri Fox Trotter Horses, sheep,chickens, ducks, geese, and have a few dogs....and a bunch of cats to give away....LOL....I am by no means a true rancher or farmer, everything has been "learned the hard way"....but, it has all been quite the experience.....so...anybody live in Madison County?? Ever heard of the old Sheriff Ralph Baker?? From what I have heard, he was quite the outlaw....
    Well, thanks for listening....
    Jan C.

8. Lead Hill here. the Ozarks are my most favorite place in the world

9. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

My son and his wife almost bought a trailer for sale to be moved in Marshal. It was a very nice 80's something model. It even has a wood burning fireplace that was factory installed. The owner only want $9,000 for it. It would make a good starter home.
    My son ended up buying a repo the bank got in last week. Just kind of fell in his lap so he went with it.
    If anyone wants the name and number of the owner of the trailer for sale in Marshal I can give it to you. I am in no way connected to the owner. It was just one of the best and cleanest mobile homes we looked at. It is a good deal for someone.

Digger

10. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

There are several banks in Marshall to choose from. Just dont choose Home Bank of Arkansas -- with a red white and blue sign. I havent been in the others, but I stepped in there and wasnt 2 seconds before they were total *******s to me. So when looking for your new bank, dont choose them. And I know this aint marshall, but I went into Arvest bank in Harrison, and they were very very nice.

Oh, and the old man in the hardware store down the block from the license branch in Marshall let me borrow a screwdriver. He was nice.

11. Chikin

Chikin Member

Ozarks 1, my dad use to live by Yellville out on hwy 14 right past CCC access road. now we just own land up in Lead Hill. where are you at around Yellville?