Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that this is the place to be for all kinds of learning and I have been taught tons. :) Been reading alot and searching alot. I was wondering though if someone could help me out and send me some links to all the real important stuff. I just got my girls on Sunday :hobbyhors and I would love to have all the info asap. Want to be as informed as possible right off the bat on atleast the basics. :help: I have been told that somewhere there is info on a goat medicine cabinet, also the best ways to feed and even how to make a mineral feeder. If someone could take the time to help I would highly appreciate it. :dance: thanks everyone :)

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
One of the best sites for useful info is fiascofarm.com. Not sure about the mineral feeder - I know there is a way to make one from PVC pipe. You need a 3-4' piece of 4" diameter pipe, one Y-connector and a cap. Put the Y-connector on the bottom of the big piece and the cap on the bottom of the Y. Attach to the barn wall (strapping) and fill from the top. The goats get the mineral from the open side of the Y. I'm sure someone else can give you a better description or a link!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much, sorry I didn't get back to you right away to thank you. I clicked on the link and have been reading away. Wow, I think my butt is numb. Great site, got it saved and will continue to read it. thanks again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Petsneggs: Fiascofarm.com is wonderful isn't it. I've gained alot of info on goats from it. I'm new to goats, but have had sheep, livestock, and veterinary experience. The mineral feeder that I have used and find the easiest is to use cattle panel, cut one colum strand out, and hang a fence feer onto the outside of the panel. This way the goats access it from the back of the feeder thus reducing waste and soiled minerals.

A hay feeder I use because I cannot stand hay waste is getting a real cheap dollar store kitchen trashcan with a lid. The I cut a arch out of the front towards the bottom. To hand it, just drill holls in the back and bend some wire, or run a bungee cord through the hole and strap it on to whatever support you are using. The simply load the hay in. This is great to keep water out (can be used outside) and easier for me then bagging hay nets, or feeders. I just life the lid, drop the hay and move on. Also very easy if you need to sanitize too!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool ideas, thanks... I like the make it yourself stuff. All the things that are out there for purchase are so expensive.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
QueenB04 said:
A hay feeder I use because I cannot stand hay waste is getting a real cheap dollar store kitchen trashcan with a lid. The I cut a arch out of the front towards the bottom. To hand it, just drill holes in the back and bend some wire, or run a bungee cord through the hole and strap it on to whatever support you are using. The simply load the hay in. This is great to keep water out (can be used outside) and easier for me then bagging hay nets, or feeders. I just life the lid, drop the hay and move on. Also very easy if you need to sanitize too!
This is a great idea. Why haven't you shared it with us before? (or did I miss that post somewhere?)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Petsneggs: Good deal! My husband originally though I was nuts but then once he figured out my scheme loved it. He usually knows when I go into the tool shed it's either going to be a horrible disaster or a stunning work of mad logic*lol*

Spinner: Actually I don't think I have shared it before, not intentionally though! I made my first one this winter after I got tired of hay being waster by the horse and the donkeys. When we had the sheep they generally cleaned everything up but we sold them in November. This has been the most resourceful little gadget I have come up with, and I apologize for not mentioning it sooner! I'll post it as a new thread as well since it caught on so quick!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts