info-electric fence

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steff bugielski, Jan 12, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a good how-to on electric fences. Need to figure how much electric and where to place on property.
    Thanks Steff

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............steff , it's really very simple . You have insulators to keep your HOT wire out away from the support holding it up . Then , you have a ground every so often. The drier the soil the MORE grounds , spaced closer together that you will have to have . You can use your existing fence wire for a ground and simply drive a ground rod in every 100 feet or so , maybe 3 or 4 feet deep and Bond the two together with a connector . Your charger can be powered by 1 of 3 ways . From an existing 110volt ac outlet , with a battery and a battery with a small solar panel to keep it charged . You can buy a system that "pulses" instead of being "on" constantly which takes less juice from a battery . Nothing complicated about IT , fordy.. :)

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

A pulse type charger does not use enough electricity to measure on a meter, so basically it uses no electricity...at least none that you will pay for.

Jena

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

5. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Fordy...How about that electric "tape"? Will it work for cows? We need a quick fence around our pond. Saw a new calf standing out on the ice...dam side of course..nibbling cattails :eek: Between ice storms we got to get electric fence around it and wondered if that tape would work ok with solar charger as a quick, temporary fix.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Lots of folks around here using the Tape(s) . And they are alot easier for animals to see , especially for horses . Also , some of these single strand , old style hot wires can Cut ahorse if they run into it . fordy... :)

7. aaatraker

aaatraker Well-Known Member

8. Ed

Ed Member

Steff,

Agmantoo posted a link to Kencove's locations. Here's a link http://www.kencove.com/Guide.php to their "How To" section. I'm sure that the folks at Kencove will be glad to help you if you need it.

Ed

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

unless you are fencing off rhode island, a good 50 mile charger will be more than you wil ever use.
    just keep track of how many 1/4 or 1/2 mile spools of wire you use to find out how far your total fence is.
    as was said its easy, a good ground close to the charger is a must, use a real ground rod made to be a ground rod not a pipe. a 10' rod has a hardened tip and hammering it in to 9' is easy.
    thenits just a matter of tacking on plastic insulators on posts trees ect, and stringing the wire wherever you want something not to go.
    go around a few times a month and sickle the weeds off the wires... grab it to see if it knocks you over that means it works..
    lol
    seriously a long piece of grass is enough of you hold it and touch the wire you should get a nice light zip... they sell wire testers cheap you can touch the owre with and it lights up to show you the power level going thru the line so you can see if its got weeds on it somewhere... that shorts it out and decreases the shock.

I only use one ground rod, my ground is always moist. if you have damp soil you ned to put out a few more and wire those all together like a string of lights leading back to the box. unless you are in a desert I cant see where thats needed.

keep[ a box of fuses handy they attract lightning. mine gets hit at least 3 times every sumer so i have a big box of fuses in the barn. the chargers are pretty tough and mines been hit dozens of times and its fuse socket is burnet a little but it works fine.

if the ground is super dry in the summer it wilbe working but the dry ground doesnt make a good conductor with the animals feet and it might not be effective, in that case you can run a paralel wire close to the charge wire thats hooked to the ground post, then they touch both at the same time and zapp!
    the ground wire paralel to the charge wire shouldnt touch the charge wire in such case.

ive seen people hanf stel stock wire panels on insulators and wire the panel to zap stubborn cows or goats.. agway sells 5x16 foot wire panels for about 20 bucks each.

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

11. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

For a good earth you can put your earth stake near an outdoor tap. If money is an issue here is a good cheap insulator- 15/16mm hose (1/2 inch) about 15/18 inches long, fold in half, hammer a nail about 1/2 inches in from the fold. Turn ends out and staple each to fence post maybe 8 inches apart, thread hot wire through the triangle formed by the hose & nail.

12. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.horseguardfence.com/

13. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I know how to use it and have it around my goats. What I am looking for is a book to give someone.
    steff