Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for links, info on adding an addition.
We are still a year or more out from adding an addition to our 320 sq.ft. cabin. More Yellow Pines to take down & a storage shed, outhouse to move. Not to mention securing supplies at a reasonable cost.
The addition will be the bedroom facing the West & bathroom facing East. Somewhere under 400 sq.ft. bringing the total to somewhere around 800 sq. ft.
Cabin is on a slope with a deck on the front & covered porch to the left length of the cabin.
Ideally the addition will have a porch that connects with the existing porch. Sliding glass door leading out to the porch. I want to be able to sit up in bed see the brook.
For the bathroom I want a door facing East so I can come in from the garden directly into the bathroom take a shower.
Not against moving the woodstove to another central location on the West/Porch side but we've read having the pipe near the top of the roof isn't a good idea.

~~ Enchanted Bliss~~

Sky Wood Building Tree Plant
Plant Building Branch House Wood

Pics of the back of the cabin.

·
Premium Member
32,528 Posts
Do you currently have a sliding glass door? If not, have you ever lived with a sliding glass door?

Ok, to the point. I have a sliding glass door. I hate it. The wheels wear out and are very difficult to change. The doors are heavy and very difficult to install. The doors are drafty and cold. Stuff gets in the track and has to be cleaned frequently. Sliding glass doors are easy to open when "locked".

The benefit, the view is unobstructed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you currently have a sliding glass door? If not, have you ever lived with a sliding glass door?

Ok, to the point. I have a sliding glass door. I hate it. The wheels wear out and are very difficult to change. The doors are heavy and very difficult to install. The doors are drafty and cold. Stuff gets in the track and has to be cleaned frequently. Sliding glass doors are easy to open when "locked".

Yes, I have in several residences.
Currently in the front of the cabin is a French Door. It's drafty, seals are broken on the glass. Will be replaced with a slider mostly because slider doesn't take up real estate when open inside. Floor space is like gold in a tiny home. Currently have to move stools out of the way to open French Doors.
Heavy lined drapes help with cold.
Trees on both sides are now gone due to rot. So the cabin gets all day sunshine. Translates into a well lit interior.
I'm not afraid of cleaning.
If & when we travel will be installing security measures on doors & windows.
1st pic is when we bought the property.
2nd pic is view of our brook.

Plant Property Plant community Tree Natural landscape

Water Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Tree Natural landscape

·
Premium Member
32,528 Posts
The best lock for a sliding door is a 2x2 cut to fit in the groove on the fixed side. My mom used a broom handle for years.

I hate my sliding door. We have a single door replacement for it but the contractor to replace it stopped answering our calls after we signed the contract. At least we didn't pay him. My door is on the north side of the house and currently covered with plastic film and a heavy blanket. I hate that door.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I agree-- beautiful setting & cute cabin.

Re-think the part about going right into the bath room from the garden unless your climate is always warm enough to strip down first outside.

I agree that sliding glass doors have their downsides, but in your case, you've mentioned the advantages. All solutions are trade-offs.

I'm not aware of any reason not to have a chimney near the top of the roof (In fact, I thought that was desirable.) If you're bound to move the stove, consider just going straight up thru the roof rather than mess with elbows etc out the side wall.

·
Premium Member
18,378 Posts
We have two sliding glass doors, one in the living room and one in our bedroom. They have worked flawlessly for almost 19 years. If you go with a sliding glass door, I would recommend one made by Marvin company. We love ours.

I prefer a chimney near the top (peak) of the roof. If the chimney is near the roof peak, it only has to be 2 feet above the roof peak. This height makes chimney cleaning real easy.

Photo of our sliding door (left) and chimney.
Sky Building Snow Window Tree

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I’ve been putting in sliding glass doors since the 70s and have never replaced one un less the glass was broken .
I’ve never had to replace a Anderson door or window .
If they break you can get parts
the window and doors have a 20 year warranty.
I have a cheep slider in one house from 1975 it was a cheapie in 1975 and did not get better with age .
Its been there allmost 50 years but did not roll good on day one .

·
Premium Member
32,528 Posts
Mom had to replace her sliding door because the wood framing rotted in a few spots. Then the new door had to be replaced because the whole door fogged up between the glass panels.

Whoever installed my door didn't frame it properly. There is a leak somewhere around the framing and that leak has caused part of the floor to rot away. The door has to be removed to fix the frame and floor.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts

I've experienced (and replaced) bad sliders like you describe.
They've come a long way. We have some new ones that work great. I like them better than my French door which is going to need replaced before too long.

·
Premium Member
32,528 Posts
I’m sure the door was not a Anderson door , and your door was not flashed properly so it leaked ☹ I hate when guys do shoddy work .
It makes us all look bad .
Neither of our doors was flashed properly. At least my door isn't ready to fall out like Mom's was. My door has been in place since 1974. Hers was less than 20 years old. Her addition was put on by shoddy builders. My whole house was a shoddy build.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's such a beautiful little cabin, I'm in love with it!!
Thank you ! I wasn't the 1st time I saw the inside. If it weren't for the porch on the side & the brook not to mention my husband who is a jack of all trades. Here's a pic of what it looked like when we bought it and now 2 years later.
Extended the deck to corner. Painted rusty galvanized siding, sealed the roof, stained all outside wood, & added balusters, gate to keep pups in, decorative accents.
Plant Building Window Wood Tree

Moved the kitchen to front of cabin.
Wood Building Floor Flooring Hardwood

Put all the cupboards on the wall built an island/dinning area/sewing/work desk. Added couple stools from Habitat Resale Store. Covered the walls in shiplap. Ceiling is now up used underlayment. Plan is to white wash ceiling & walls. Also installed a sink supplied by 250 gal. rain water catchment system w/filter under the side porch. No stove.
Cabinetry Countertop Property Furniture Kitchen

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Such a darling little home. That's an old propane refrigerator, right?
Thank you. I wish but no a HD buy. We are tied to the electrical grid. Hence no need for a stove. Either use electrical appliances like skillet or insta-pot, counter top oven, or campfire, propane grill, woodstove. There's natural gas at the road which gives us that option later on when we are really old.

·
Super Moderator
10,582 Posts
View attachment 104836

adding on I would come strait off the end here your replacing the door any way so just leave that open and put the new door in the addition , it is relatively flat no stuff in the way no chimney to move that window can move keep the roof line and bring the deck out to the end of the new addition
keep bringing the covered porch with it , can never have too much porch.

also you chimney should go about 2 feet higher probably not to windy where you are in all those trees , so if it drafts fine don't mess with it , but if you ever get smoke backing up that might be why

unless it becomes some sort of an issue with setback to go that direction

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 104836

adding on I would come strait off the end here your replacing the door any way so just leave that open and put the new door in the addition , it is relatively flat no stuff in the way no chimney to move that window can move keep the roof line and bring the deck out to the end of the new addition
keep bringing the covered porch with it , can never have too much porch.

also you chimney should go about 2 feet higher probably not to windy where you are in all those trees , so if it drafts fine don't mess with it , but if you ever get smoke backing up that might be why

unless it becomes some sort of an issue with setback to go that direction
It's a thought I hadn't considered. Interesting putting the bedroom & bath in the front portion of the cabin.
My main question was can we add an addition when the roof line is Mono Style. If so how.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's a thought I hadn't considered. Interesting putting the bedroom & bath in the front portion of the cabin.
My main question was can we add an addition when the roof line is Mono Style. If so how.
My stepdad moved to Fayetteville, Arkansas in his back-to-the-land/hippy days and stayed in a house that was built without a bathroom, but city codes had changed to ban outhouses and require them. So the front porch was enclosed and that's where the put the toilet. You'd enter the front door and be in the ****ter :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A neighbor down the road sent an Amish Fella the other day. The neighbor, was under the impression that he would gladly take our Pines. 🤣 Nope he's only interested in White Pine. And of course ours are Yellow or Red. Even after we said free.
LSS his brother-in-law is a builder. Took our information will pass it along.
Still have another 30 trees to take down but at least we can start getting estimates. Depending on cost we may just have them frame it out. Or build the shell completely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts